Spey Pages banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
1 More Cast
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a chance to pick up a 3W at at a good price. Loop states that this reel will hold 200 yards with a WF9 line, I assume that is 30 lb dracon. I would like to put a Windcutter 8/9/10 on this reel and was wondering how much backing i could get on with this line. Also does anyone know if the new Loop CLW reels are avaliable in the US? Thx in advance. 1 More

J

·
0 Posts
The 200yds of backing referred to is 20lb dacron. I think you'll find the 3W to be too small for an 8/9/10 Windcutter unless you don't need much backing or you use 50lb GSP. I have a 6/7/8 Windcutter on one of my 3W spools. The CLW is available in the US and the 8/9/10 Windcutter should just about fit on the 8twelve size CLW. I have a Loop 9/10 Quattro on one of my 8twelve spools with about 150yds of 30lb. On another spool I have a Delta Spey 8/9 and at least that much backing.

·
1 More Cast
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
JRSPEY,.

What are your thoughts on the Loop CLW? I remember the old Graphite Loops, I was not that impressed with their performance. I thought they were a little rough around the edges.
1More

J

·
0 Posts
Truthfully, they are much better than what I anticipated. I use the Loop Graphites, but they really are just line holders and I tend to use them for bass fishing and the like. These new "composite" reels have one thing going for them that all similar reels don't. There is NO spool wobble. I've got six spare spools for mine and none of them have any wobble at all. The guts, as far as I can tell, are identical to the EvotecLW series. I'm taking mine and several spools up to the Miramichi in late September. Hopefully I'll be able to give it a serious test there. They seem to be one heck of a reel for the price.

·
1 More Cast
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
JR SPEY,

Thx. for the feedback. For the price I am going to consider the CLW. Good luck on your trip to the Miramachi.
1More

·
Junkyard Spey
7,112 Posts
Hey 1 More Cast...

For the price I am going to consider the CLW
Good choice.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have the 3W with 200 yds of 35lb gelspun and the wc 7,8,9. I also have 2 spare spools for the older version of the 3W (that don't fit the new version) and would like to pick up a replacement for the older version that was stolen.

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Loop 3W

I have the Loop 3W and loaded it with a measured 200yds of 50 gelspun and a midspey 9/10. It all fits....a little snug but it fits. I think if a guy took off as little a 10-15 feet of the back end of the midspey it would fit easily and not have me so worried about lining it back on just perfectly

1 - 8 of 8 Posts