Spey Pages banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Member FRSCA
2,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking of trying to stuff a Rio 8/9 scand head w/tips and 120ft of running line on a Loop 3 trad. Will I have room for backing. Not sure what an 8/9 head and running line would equate to. Anybody else?

Thinking I could probably hack 30ft off the running line and still be in good shape.

·
Registered
378 Posts
You should have no problem getting 150yards of standard 30# backing on there. My favourite reel by the way.
Brian Niska

·
a/k/a loophitech
457 Posts
Well, a 44' head + 120 feet of running line should leave you in the ball park of about 125-15- yds of 20# bacing. I may be off as I am estimating from a Loop 4 with 200 yds of backing, 150 feet of running line and 46' head including tips. There is still room for more backing but I don't see myself actually being lucky enough to reel in a fish that is over 800 feet away (without being able to follow the fish on foot, that is.)

Let me know what you end up putting on there as I am in the market for a 3 myself.

Vinnie

·
Registered
378 Posts
One additional thought: It will depend on the thickness of the running line that you are using. I always use 50# Rio Slickshooter and often have the 3 loaded up with a Loop 9/10 head.

·
Member FRSCA
2,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I believe its the .030 rrunning line from Orvis. Pretty beat up from using on he peirs. I am thinking I may go with new. Is the slickshooter the regular running line or the mono stuff?

·
Member FRSCA
2,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wondering what rod you are using it on. I also had the concern the 3 may be to light for the rod I am using. Its a Scott SAS 1308. Which is a fairly light rod.

·
Registered
378 Posts
I primarily use this reel on 12'4" #8 rods and 11'6" # 9 Loop greenline. Should be fine on your Scott as it is a fairly light rod. Slickshooter is flat beam mono. It feels coily on the spool but smoothes out when fishing and very rarely tangles. I am a big fan of this stuff and use it on all of my rods.
Brian

·
a/k/a loophitech
457 Posts
I should have mentioned I use Polyshoot XT (mono) which I find better in terms of extremely low memory. I do have the RIO running line, however, it rarely gets used.

Vinnie

·
Registered
179 Posts
I am not sure about the line capacity on the Loop 3, but in old Loop catalogues it says WF 9 float + 150 meters (165yds) 30 lbs Dacron. On my Loop 3W rooms 175yds 30lbs + 25yds 50 lbs + 100ft running line 0,031” + 40 ft #10 shooting head floater. Now the reel is filled to the limit, but when you thread your rod with about 12-14 ft of the line it works OK.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts