Spey Pages banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm using this rod for summer salmon and up to now i have used shootinghead on it.
For some time i have wanted to try the Rio windcutter spey line, but these lines are tripple numbered so what line should i go for?
The 7-8-9 or 8-9-10? Mayby there is a lighter line that is the thing for this rod?

Pardon me for my english, hope you understand what i mean.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
The shootinghead i am using now is Guideline Powertaper, this is a #8/9 weight that is cut down to 10,5m to fit this rod. This line is has a similar taper as the Lee Wolff TT.
What i want now is a long belly line, and i think the Windcutter is a great line for this rod.
My problem is that i don't know what weight is best for my rod, info wanted.

·
Pullin' Thread
4,694 Posts
The Windcutter to use is the 7/8/9, unless you like the feel of a slightly overlined rod, then use the 8/9/10.

By the way, the Windcutter is not a long-belly line, it is a short-belly line with a 55 ft belly length. Long-belly lines have 75 ft or longer bellies.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
In norway we use mostly shootingheads and when the head is longer than 41/42ft we call it long-belly.
The sh we use are from 30 to about 42ft on the dubblehand rod.
Thank you for the info so far, and if anyone else has info on the rod and line i'm very greatfull.

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
See RIO Recommendations

RIO is a Sonsor their Web site had recommendations
http://www.rioproducts.com/pages/speyrecs.asp
Trilogy 13' # 7/8
WC A 7/8/9
WC B 8/9/10
Midspey A 7/8
Midspey B 8/9
-
Grand Spey B 7/8
Scandanavian A 7/8
Scandanavian B 8/9
The A rating is for a faster rod response.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This must have been a lot of work, have they really tested every rod and line to make it fit?
Tanks a lot.

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
RIO Close

In my experience the RIO recommendations are usually pretty close. It is still an individual thing about how you like your rod to load when you are casting. It is best, if you have the chance to test lines out at a speyclave or from friends before you spend the money.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
t_richerzhagen said.

In my experience the RIO recommendations are usually pretty close. It is still an individual thing about how you like your rod to load when you are casting. It is best, if you have the chance to test lines out at a speyclave or from friends before you spend the money.

I agree with you but the problem is that almost nobody is using a hole line around here.
I've been trying to find someone with knowledge about long lines for some time. I have visited a lot of forums but this is the best forum i have ever visited.
The spey clave alone is bigger than most forums.
I have got more info here in a few days than i've got on all the other forums in six monts.
I say again, thank you.

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
Just a word on the Rio recommendations; there are two, the A and B. The A recommends a lighter line and the B a heavier one, the idea is that the caster with the higher skill level will prefer the lighter line. This is because the more advanced caster will be aerializing more line and therefore will better load the rod.

However, with a short head line like the windcutter (yes I too will call it a short head) I don't think that there will be a significant difference in how much line an expert or intemediate caster will carry. I think it will come down to what Flytyer said - if you like a really well-loaded feel on your rod go with the heavier designation, otherwise the lighter one will be good.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts