Spey Pages banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
#&%*@^# Caster
3,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I thought they were back ordered but to my surprise (and delight) I had a 14' 9/10 stinger waiting on my doorstep after I returned from the Seattle Fly Show. Excellent :lildevl:

So now I am scrambling for lines to figure out if I have any I can match it to for fishing tomorrow. I have an 8/9 Rio Scando head that looks like it will match up but I am wondering what longer length lines any of you have run through them. Thinking an 8/9 SA Short will match up as well. Anyone put a long belly on them?

Thanks for the help all. I checked out the loomis recs but they are only for short heads and I am thinking longer cause that is all I have at the moment...

Will post a full report on the rod in the next few days after I get a chance to work it out.

-sean

·
Registered
344 Posts
I got a new loomis friday too

I have been looking to find a Loomis 14' 8/9 Deveron. And I too thought that they were on back order. Friday I went to the Portland Sportsmans show and talked to the G. Loomis rep. He called the factory and they had one left, so I went to the River City Fly Shop both (next to loomis) and had Don order it for me to pick up in woodland. (River City is a GREAT fly shop.) The 30 minute drive up to Loomis was a small price to pay to get the rod right away. SWEET. In another 45 minutes I had the rod on the water. Man, those first few casts were nice...but then the rod broke :Eyecrazy: It kinda came apart more than broke, a section of the rod pealed off like a sliver. :(

·
#&%*@^# Caster
3,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well just getting back from the Skagit and and a little tired but wanted to put up some quick notes. This rod is awesome. It is one of the top 9 weights out there today. Very light in hand and launches line. It feels like a 7/8 and although I only caught bull trout they still put a bend in the rod. I think small steelies will be fun on this rod without feeling like too much overkill. It has a nice flex profile and has a nice fishing feel to it.

Will be doing a full write up of this rod in the next week. Really did not try that many lines since I was fishing and not casting. I can tell you the best combo I tried today was the 8/9 SA short head. Unbelievable combo and the rod just shoots and shoots. Also tried a 9/10 Ian Gordon Short Spey but felt it was too heavy and a 7/8 XLT. Did not try the XLT until we were at the takeout so I was tired and really did not spend much time with it. My quick assesment was that it might be better with the 8/9 XLT instead.

Was fishing Juro's Dolly Poacher fly today so all I hooked were Bull Trout. However in the process I think Loomis hooked me :eek:

Attachments

1 - 3 of 3 Posts