Spey Pages banner

Loomis Speys in Upstate NY

2K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  dmas 
#1 ·
I talked to Rick Whorwood from Loomis today and he is interested in doing a casting demonstration and showing the Loomis spey rods on the Genesee River in Rochester NY.

Date would be May 29th in the morning.

If your in the general area and interested PM me.

Gillie

#2 ·
Update:

Rick Whorwood will be on the Genesee May 29th to do a spey casting demonstration. He will also have the current Loomis line available to try.
I've heard from a number of anglers, but hope that more will be interested in joining us. PM me for additional information and directions.

Gillie

#4 · (Edited)
Some pictures from today. Was a great day. The new Loomis line is very nice. The 16' 9/10 that Rick brought down threw a Carron line with amazing ease. 80' was effortless and I have little experience casting longer bellies.

Brought a friend with me who had never cast a spey rod. He fell in love with the Kispiox 7/8 and 8/9. within 15 minutes making 60 ft fishing casts with little effort.

Need to have more events like this in the GL's region.

Guys are getting excited about the upcoming Salmon River Clave.

Rick will also be at that.

I've travelled out to the west coast to get a lot of my casting instruction. It's good to have someone closer to home who can do casting instruction.

Attachments

#8 ·
I was at the event on Sunday and I’d like to personally thank Rick for taking the time to come all that way to let us demo the great line of Loomis Spey rods and give his presentation. He put on an awesome show and I personally learned a bunch from him. I’d also like to thank Gillie for organizing this. As he alluded to, there are a group of guys in this neck of the woods who have been Spey casting for the last half dozen years or more without out a whole bunch formal guidance other than books, videos, or the internet. Nothing beats being on the stream with a rod in your hand and learning from an expert. Budding Spey casters in this area are desperate for this type of resource. It looks to me like the Salmon River clave is shaping up to be an unbelievable event…I personally can’t wait for it.

Tight Lines

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.