Spey Pages banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13'3" 7wt G Loomis NRX+
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone here have experience with these rods? I can't find anything on the interwebs about them.

I'm looking for a fast action, spey/switch for tight quarters and wide pools. Seems like the perfect rod, but most shops only carry the longer versions. Curious how the 11' compared to the 13 something.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Give Northwest Fly Fishing Outfitters in Portland a call. The head guide there, Eric is pretty knowledgeable with Loomis and the NRX line.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
432 Posts
If it helps any carlhorner, I have the Sage One 11ft 6 ins switch in 8 weight, I also have the Guideline LPXe in 13ft 8/9.Want to know the difference between them?, well its 18" of carbon!.
They cast the same lines perfectly well almost the same distances (in all honesty, down to inches!), the 13ft might lift a tadge more line and the 11ft 6 ins might get you out of a slightly tighter casting spot, but either way- not by much at all.In fact of the two the Guideline is a better rod to play fish on due to its length and its slightly more responsive nature!.
Don't get me wrong, the Sage is smooth as creamy choccy. and a very good product, but I do feel you would need extenuating circumstances or be a very very good caster to exploit either rod over the other.
Were I to try and quantify a difference between them, I'd say for fully sunk Scandi heads then choose the 13ft Guideline, for heavy tips off Skagity type carriers then the 11ft 6 ins Sage.Size and weight of flee would make Bo Diddley at all!.
I'm a 15ft NRX owner and I'll tell you this, nice rod though the 11ft er is there's most definitely faster rods out there!, but be carefull, faster actions in shorter rods don't make for a pleasant fish playing experience!, always a trade off!.
I've also a Hardy Zenith in 12ft 6 ins (1/2 way house?) coupled to an Airflo Scandi Compact and 10ft poly. tips, its embarrassing how far and easily it will cast and dominates fish in play (Atlantics to 17lb on mine so far!), amazing rod!.
You need to do some sitting down and thinking before splashing the cash.
Best of luck,Yorkie.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Ha, funnily enough I just had six pitchers of margaritas with Eric from NWFFO last night and that switch rod came up in convo. He totally digs it, I think he said he's got a Scout 540 on it, but the rod damn near casts itself. Seems like a good rod to add to the arsenal.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I've got one and love it. It's a fast rod, but wicked lite. I was throwing a 550 Coastal on it, but the rod really shines with a shorter, compact head. 475 commando is effortless and really fun. Heard good things about the 540 scout, plan to pick one up for upcoming winter.
Steve

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13'3" 7wt G Loomis NRX+
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
After some back and forth I ended up with the 13'3" 7wt. Thanks for the info. So far I love it! This thing shoots like a cannon!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts