Spey Pages banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please excuse my ignorance, but I am not sure that I properly understand the Loomis line recommendation table for their dbl handed rods. I have just ordered a 15 ft Greased Line Deveron and am doing my best to interpret properly what M, MH, ML etc means. Would someone be so kind as to explain? I do apologise for the ignorance.

Marcus

·
Pullin' Thread
4,694 Posts
This is what I have found from casting several of the new Loomis rods with different lines.

M referes to the line producing a medium load on the rod resulting in a moderate casting load feel or bend in the rod. MH refers to the line overloading the rod a bit producing much more bend in the rod and a resulting greatly increased load feel when casting. ML refers to the line producing a medium-light load on the rod resulting in a faster, crisper feel and less bend in the rod unless the caster puts a fair amount of power into the cast.

These designations are very analogous to a single hand rod that loads properly with a WF6 line, is a bit overloaded with a DT 6 line, and feels a bit light with a WF5 longer belly like the SA XXD when all of the lines are cast 50'

·
Junkyard Spey
7,114 Posts
Hey Marcus...

I'll leave Flytyer's explanation alone as it seems good to me. I really liked this rod. For what it's worth I thought a Snowbee 2-D 9/10 ([email protected] 62') line cast very well on the 15' Deveron.

·
Registered
562 Posts
MJC,

Which 15' are you putting the snowbee on ? I've been casting the 15' 9/10 with a 10/11 Carron and it is beautiful. I think the 10/11 has a bit more weight than the Snowbee 9/10 but I'm not sure of the actual grains.

Gillie

·
Registered
562 Posts
Just realized that the only 15' deveron is a 9/10. The other 15' are available in GLX only.

I'm a little surprised that it loads up with 617 grains. Loomis puts the MS 9/10 as a light load and that line is 725 grains. I guess it depends on how much of a load you like on the rod. I still need that feel that the additional grains provide.

If my source is right (I'm not sure it is) the Carron has 833 grains.

Gille

·
Junkyard Spey
7,114 Posts
The Deveron 15' 9/10. If my memory serves me right we tried the Snowbee 2-D 9/10, Delta 9/10, Delta 10/11, Delta Long 9/10, and an Airflo 35' 11wt shooting head overhand. We didn't try any longer bellies and I don't have the rod anymore so I can't try them. It seemed like a great rod to me. I have come to like a lighter line load in the last year. Maybe I'm getting a little better at casting although I doubt that be noticable to anyone watching me flail away. :whoa:

·
Registered
396 Posts
Loomis

This has already been answered but if you go to the "RODS" forum --at the top there is a thread G. Loomis line data --there is a discussion about this and #23 is from Neil :smokin: who was involved with the testing--he, and Rambo, answer the question about the designations.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.