Spey Pages banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to upgrade my loomis from a single hander to a double and try my hand at spey casting. I'm trying to choose between the Greased Line 14' 8/9 and the Dredger 13'4" 7/8. I'll be fishing mostly on the Deschutes, Umpqua, and on the west slope and washington rivers for summers so I'd like to go lighter than heavier. But I would also like something that I can throw a bit of a sink tip if need be. I'm a bit concerned that the Dredger might a little soft for my taste. I'll be going out to the Fly Fishing Shop in Welches to play with these for myself but I was hoping I could get your thoughts in the mean time. Who has tossed these rods?

·
Steelherder
155 Posts
I would stick with the Greasedliner for a couple of reasons:

Firstly I think it is crucial that as a beginner you start out with a 14 foot 9 wt. This will give you the total spey experience and it is the perfect set-up to learn on.

Secondly, that rod is a beautiful piece of machinery that will serve you well with windcutters and longer belly lines as well as tips. It will cover almost all situations for you as you make your way into this wacky and wonderful obsession. Later on you will want to get rods that fit your specific niche situations. You might also look at the CND lineup. Cheaper and just as nice. Your mileage may vary of course.

·
loco alto!
3,109 Posts
Everyone has their own tastes. I find that a 13-14' 7/8 wt can handle 99% of fishing situations in Oregon, all year round. Seems you've been mulling this over for nearly a year, maybe it is time to try some of the rods that you are interested in and decide for yourself. If you go to the Fly Fishing Shop it would be worth checking out the 8 wt Burkheimers (8141, 8139) for a choice of two different actions in a solid all-rounder, and vastly easier on the eyes.

·
Registered
439 Posts
I have cast and fished both rods. Like you the Dredgers are to soft to my taste.
I find that the GLX 14' 8/9 Grease Line is very light and user friendly.

Leroy
THCI
G.Loomis Pro Staff

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Been too long

Yeah It's been taking me too long to pull the trigger. Work is hell you know. But I agree that I'm leaning more toward the Grease Line series of the two due to the faster action. But the 8-9 might be a little heavy for typical summer work. There is of course the 15' 7-8. OOOOOOO Thats alot of rod! :Eyecrazy: Too long for some rivers on the west slope?

·
Registered
234 Posts
the greaseline being a great long belly rod, it;s also an awesome short belly rod as well and a super skagit rod! i went for the 15' 7/8 because like you i thought 8/9 was too much of a rod. i don't think the extra foot made much of a difference for me.
not a big fan of the dredger series

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.