Spey Pages banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone tried both 14 and 15 foot 8/9. Consider bying one of them. I am a bit confuse when i read the line table from Loomis. It seems like the 14 foot handles heavier line than the 15 foot? Is this so?
Also Loomis says that an windcutter 10-11-12 is an medium load and from Rios recommendation 9-10-11 is a heavy load. Someone must be wrong here!??

gub

·
Banned
161 Posts
Loomis is Right

The 14' feels much stiffer to me. The 15' is quite a nice rod.

I would absolutely defer to Loomis on the line recommendation. The Rio page tends to be Simon's view of the world and I very often do not agree.

I fished the 14' 8/9 with the WC 9/10/11 and did not have any fun.

jgs

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
JGS said:
The 14' feels much stiffer to me. The 15' is quite a nice rod.

I would absolutely defer to Loomis on the line recommendation. The Rio page tends to be Simon's view of the world and I very often do not agree.

I fished the 14' 8/9 with the WC 9/10/11 and did not have any fun.

jgs
Ok, so you felt the line too light for the rod, or didn't you like the rod??

gub

·
Banned
161 Posts
Too Light

I found the 9/10/11 too light for the rod. I wasn't totally enamored with the rod, but thought it was fine enough. Upon playing with the 15' rod, my decision would be easy as I quite liked the 15' 8/9. The 15' 7/8 is nice also.

·
Registered
439 Posts
G.Loomis GL 8/9 14'

Well, guys I have used this rod a lot and I think that why it feels faster than it is is due to the quick recovery rate or dampening after completing a cast. Very typical of most GLX rods. For me it has been a rod that works well for summers, dry line, distance and could be used in the summer and winter with lighter sink tips. Not my first choice heavy sink tip winter fishing.
I can understand why, when fished the WC 9/10/11 and you did not have any fun.
I used this rod linned with a regular 8/9 Airflo Delta for most of my dry line fishing.
Fly Fish USA has a review of the rod set for sunk line work and his weights are spot on.
Depends what seasons you are going to use the rod for.

Leroy
G.Loomis Pro Staff
FFF THCI/CI

·
BULL DOG!!!!
Gaelforce
2,187 Posts
I agree with Leroy, the 8/9 delta is awsome on the 14ft 8/9.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
speyrd said:
Well, guys I have used this rod a lot and I think that why it feels faster than it is is due to the quick recovery rate or dampening after completing a cast. Very typical of most GLX rods. For me it has been a rod that works well for summers, dry line, distance and could be used in the summer and winter with lighter sink tips. Not my first choice heavy sink tip winter fishing.
I can understand why, when fished the WC 9/10/11 and you did not have any fun.
I used this rod linned with a regular 8/9 Airflo Delta for most of my dry line fishing.
Fly Fish USA has a review of the rod set for sunk line work and his weights are spot on.
Depends what seasons you are going to use the rod for.

Leroy
G.Loomis Pro Staff
FFF THCI/CI
Do you think an WC 9/10/11 is to heavy for this rod and a 8/9 Airflo Delta is right on? I am very confused by these line recommendations, it sems that the graph table from Loomis website differ very much from yours opinion!?
In fact I was hoping the rods would be perfect with lineweigts comparable with WC 8-9-10.

gub

·
BULL DOG!!!!
Gaelforce
2,187 Posts
There is another post on here somewhere about casting feel, and lots of discussion on the new standards for speylines. Every caster likes a different feel on his rods. Yes the 14ft 8/9 will cast the 9/10 delta and will even cast it a little further than the 8/9 delta in my hands but if I had to fish it day in and day out the 8/9 would be my choice. If I was just casting and not fishing and really concerned about distance I would be casting the 9/10. This does not mean that others will not fish the 9/10 on this rod and that some others might even like the 10/11 delta on it but personal preference is something that will always be there no matter what a chart recommends.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts