Spey Pages banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had the chance to cast this rod today and really enjoyed it. My friend had a midspey 9/10 on it. Unfortunately he didn't have any sink tips with him. Does anyone have experience casting sink tips on this rod ?

I'm curious if it can pick up something as big as a Bigboy.

Thanks in advance

Gillie

·
Speyladdie
429 Posts
Gillie.
The GLX 9/10 is my favorite rod.Here are some of the sets up's we use with this rod.
1-Airflow Long Delta +all Airflow Poly Tip's,10'-14'
2-Airflow Delta +all Airflow Tip's.
3-Euro Shooting Heads,Loop,Vision,Rio,Hardy and Guideline,floating -sink2-sink4.
I haven't used any of the Big Boy's only because the water's we fish don't need those kind of tip's.
I'm sure the Mid Spey will work with tips also.Give it a try.
Also try the Windcutter with the Rio 15' tips.I don't see no reason why any of these combo's wouldn't work.
Let us know how you make out.
Just out of interest where in the Uk do you fish.From back home my self.Still miss fishing the River Lune for Sea Trout.
Regards Speyladdie. :smokin:

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Neil,
Sorry if the screen name confused you. I'm actually in NY fishing mostly great lakes tributaries and make 1 to 2 trips a year out to the west coast for steelhead. I've been trying out rods looking for a new spey. I tried the GLX today but am probably waiting until I hit the deschutes this fall. There are more oppurtunities to try out rods out there. Thanks for the line advice.

Gillie

·
Pullin' Thread
4,694 Posts
Gillie,

This rod really shines with the mid-belly 9/10 lines like the Long Delta, MidSpey, or SA Mastery (but it also likes the 9/10/11 Windcutter, 9/10 Delta, 9/10 SA Short Head, 9/10 XLT, and 8/9 GrandSpey lines), and it will cast any 9 wt sink tip regardless of sink rate with authority. As you already found through casting it, it is a fast-recovering, fairly stiff rod with plenty of power that has that characteristic Loomis progressive bending as the casting load increases. It is my second favorite 14' 9/10 rod. My favorite is the T&T 1410-3.

Since it sounds like you like the faster, stiffer rods, you should try a Loop Green Series 9140, which is my third favorite 14' 9/10 rod.

·
Premium Member
865 Posts
Hi Gille, the Loomis GLX 14' 9/10 is my sink tip rod. If i am going to swing tips during the day on the Deschutes this is the rod i use. I bought the Rio Windcutter 9/10/11 multi tip line to use on this rod and it works great. after a season of use i bought the upgrade for the line so i now have a 69' head to work with and it throws it well. I have never used a bigboy as a type 6 or 8 does all the work i need it to. Hope this helps,tight lines,brian

1 - 5 of 5 Posts