Spey Pages banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Pin cushion
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been looking for a while for a rod that will throw the heavy tips that we use for most of the late fall and winter here in the midwest. I have an opportunity to pick up a 1689/10-3, but haven't been able to find any reviews on this rod. Also, How does the glx compare to the gl3. I've been using the gl3 and it just doesn't have the power for the big boy tips.Does the glx have a lot more oomph?
Twohand

·
Registered
23 Posts
Twohand

The G loomis GLX spey rods are fast, powerfull rods that are light in the hand and are similar in "feel" to the T&T rods of equal size although a bit faster IMHO. The rod you are looking at will handle just about "any" tips you want to use. I have the 13' 8/9 and the 15' 10 and would love to find a good deal on the 14' 9 . The best info you may receive would be to pm LASTCASTSTEVE who is a rep for G loomis.
I have never cast the GL3 but I'm of the opinion that the GLX would compare to European & the GL3 would be more traditional in action, ( using Sage's analogy) someone correct me if I'm wrong! Hope this helps, John

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hello Twohand

I fish the 13, 14 and 15ft.
The 14 ft has a other action than the 13ft and 15ft, the rod is a little more softer in the action.
When you want to cast heavier lines I will prefer to buy the 15ft.
This is a perfect rod for dry and sinking lines.
And the balance of the rod is perfect and it feels very light weight.
You need a gun license for this rod, it is a casting machine.
In my eyes there give no better 15ft on the world
market.

Best wishes
Taki

·
Pullin' Thread
4,694 Posts
The Loomis GLX are just a bit faster than the T&T 2-handers. And the GLX's all have that wonderful, progressive loading characteristic that good casters like. The 14 ft GLX is just a little bit slower than the 13 ft (which is my favorite 13 ft 8/9 rod) and the 15 ft GLX's. However, it is only a very little bit slower. All of the GLX 2-handers are fast-action rods that will cast tips of the proper wt as long as you would want to fish.

The T&T's as a group are my favorite 2-handers, followed very closely by the GLX (with the exception that I prefer the GLX 13 ft over the T&T 1309). The GLX 14 ft 9/10 is a very fine all around rod that is a true 10 wt (meaning it works best with a 9/10 spey line) and as such it will cast 9 or 10 wt tips with aplomb. Buy the rod, you will not be sorry.

The GLX is a fast-action rod that progressively loads further down the blank the more you load the rod. The GL3 is a medium-action rod that has a softer mid-section than the GLX. This results in the GL3 loading into the middle of the rod on almost all casts and loading well into the butt on long, powerful casts. They are very different actions and have very different feels. If you like fast-action rods, you will not like the GL3, and if you like medium-acton rods, you will think the GLX is a bit stiff.

·
Pin cushion
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies,and advice. It's exactly what I wanted to hear!:D

·
Registered
1 Posts
GLX 14' 9/10 available

Hi all: I have available a new G loomis GLX 14' 9/10. never used other than test casts. With Full warranty and rod tube.
Reasonable offers considered.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts