Spey Pages banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
chrome-magnon man
5,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Spent some time with this great new rod from Loomis this past weekend in Ontario (no SARS jokes please!)--wow, what a great stick! I will be featuring it in an up coming review on Loomis Speys on the Spey Pages but thought I'd mention it in advance. If you get the chance to try this rod you really should, not only for it's casting qualities but also for its workmanship. Loomis has taken a lot of flack about their Spey rod components here and elsewhere in the past, and I think they listened, for this rod is really finished nicely. As for performance, this rod really excels with the underhand style. I tried both Loop and Guideline shooting heads with it. I found the Guideline head a little light (it was rated for the rod's line rating I believe), especially for anyone new to the underhand style. The only Loop heads I had were 9/10s and the were fine on this rod, but I think the 8/9 heads would probably be even better. I would have liked to have tried the Guideline system in one line weight heavier for comparison.

Anyways, check it out!

·
Pullin' Thread
4,694 Posts
Dana,

I haven't tried this rod yet; however, I bought the 13', 8/9 GLX five years ago for summer fishing on small and med-size rivers because it is such a delight to cast. It is a fast rod, which I prefer, that has a reserve of power while being very light in the hands. I assume the 12 1/2 ft. GLX is very similar in action. In fact, I like the GLX 14 9/10 better than any other 14 ft 9/10 I have cast. I wish G.Loomis would make a 15 ft, 8/9 GLX (I have been wishing this for 6 years now).

·
Registered
169 Posts
Wave this one under Hal's nose.....

Dana - wave this in front of pmflyfisher - he may just find that his "true love" has competition - and is strong enough for the job!

BobK

·
chrome-magnon man
5,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
"the line" for this rod...

...will be one of the new 3M Skagit lines. I have been playing with a prototype and it is incredible on this rod. I haven't cast any of the finished factory lines yet but when I do I''ll post more on a good weight for this rod.

·
Registered
498 Posts
?????????

Dana

Is this 12'6" 7/8 GLX something they are just coming out with ????????

Its not on their website.

Skilly

·
Registered
60 Posts
I have tried this 12,6 GLX #7/8 last weekend with the new Loop Custom II floating in size “O” and length 10,4 m. Very easy, absolute light and fine feeling! But, the quality of the cork grip was not so pretty. I mean the upper section on the grip, it has many mistakes in it

·
Registered
260 Posts
flytyer said:
I assume the 12 1/2 ft. GLX is very similar in action. ).
From what I´ve heard the 12,6´ GLX:es are very different from the 13´ in terms of action. The shorter rods are said to be faster and stiffer. Any thoughts on that, Dana? I guess the 12,6´ #7-8 is a pretty sweet rod, though.

Dana: Are the Guideline shooting heads available in North America yet? They have caught on big time in Scandinavia and their F/S1 is probably the most popular salmon line in Sweden. I got a 9/10 F/S1 at 12.8 meters weighing about 37 grams for my B&W 15,3. Connected to a slickshooter that combination really zzzings through the guides! One really has to get a grip of one self not to over cast and miss those close lies... Comes in handy, though, when you can´t find room for the Windcutter. I also like the Guideline when fishing really large/heavy flies. These lines will turn over anything.

·
Registered
328 Posts
we have had the loomis 12,6´ here in scandinavia a year now... the #7-8 is the best!

·
Banned
161 Posts
GLX 12'6" 7/8 vs. T&T

The new Loomis Scan series sounds like the rod I am desiring to round out my line up. Up until now, I was thinking of a T&T 1208 or 1309. Anyone with experience with these rods want to offer a comparison between these rods?

Thanks, jgs

·
Registered
131 Posts
Loomis GLX 12ft. 6in. 7/8

Hi Dana
If you thought the old 7/8 GLX was sweet, wait till you get your mitt's around the new Scandinavian 7/8 it's been changed ever so slight, and cosmetically is beautiful.
Rick Whorwood
G.Loomis Pro-Staff

·
Registered
498 Posts
Glx

Rick

How about loading up your car with these 24 new sticks and bring them to the City park in Maupin. Sure be nice to try them some nice day. I am sure there would be penty of us willing to wave them around.

Skilly

·
chrome-magnon man
5,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Grampa,

it has been so long since I cast the Loomis rods that it is all a little fuzzy now. I had originally planned a review of the Loomis series but when I learned that they were redesigning their spey fleet I decided to hold off until the new rods became available. Hopefully the good folks at Loomis will send a few along for some autumn field tests.

·
Registered
131 Posts

Skilly:
With this big of a project, I'm sure G.Loomis is looking at having a travelling set or two of these rod's for Clave's, Casting Event , etc. All the major show's east & west will have them. Short of that, if you supply the fishing, I'd be more then happy to come and visit with some rod's. These rod's should be in the shop's late Oct. I would think ? Where is City Park ?

Dana: It will happen !!

Rick Whorwood
G.Loomis Pro-Staff

·
Registered
131 Posts

Hi Guy's
I forgot to mention that these two-handers will be great for over-head casting as well. This past summer while in Norway I was quite surprised to see many of the anglers casting over-head, they would set up with a single spey, then go right into an over-head cast. this was big water fishing, with loads of back casting room. They needed the distance, and they achieved it with this method.
I can't help but think how great the 12'6'' rods would be for beach fishing, east & west. It might be fun to try a two-hander for Tarpon, next spring. Has anyone done this yet ?
Rick Whorwood
G.Loomis Pro-staff

·
Speyladdie
429 Posts
Loomis 12'6" 7/8 GLX

I used this particular rod on the trip to Norway that Rick speaks of.
The lines I used were,the Vision 8/9 Morrum line,floater with Inter.tip +Airflow Poly Tips.Or just the line with 12' leader.
Fly on the dangle,either a snake or double to change direction,then over head with one false cast.We were casting anything from 80'-120'.
The other line was the Guide line Floater.Same deal,with or with out tips.
Both lines worked great.
Speyladdie :smokin:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts