Spey Pages banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Earlier this year I bought a used 11,6 and I have had great use of it, as well as great pleasure, landing salmon up to ten pounds with it.

I would be interested in other speypagers experiences with this rod, ie uses, favourite tackle etc.:)

Mostly I´ve been using a Vision ACE 8/9 (dbl hand) intermediate tip of about 9,6 meters and 25 grams, but also heads weighing as little as 19 grams and up to around 30 grams. Seems it, like all great rods, tolerates a wide spectrum of lines.

Someone on the Speypages once wrote that the action of the 11,6 is similar to the 9,6 #7 and the 13´ #8/9 of the GLX range. Of these rods I only have experience of the 13ftr and I can see the reason for comparing it to the 11,6.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hello fredtrout
I have owned an 11'6" GLX for a few years now, but have done nothing but overhead cast with it (primarily in saltwater). I essentially made a diverse set of 9- and 10-weight shooting heads out of floating and intermediate double taper lines that were on clearance, and rely on T14 in different lengths for sinking heads. I connect the heads to Airflo Miracle Floating Shooting Braid. I tend to use a 10-wt. intermediate head most often and have gotten pretty good at casting with it. I purchased an SA 8-wt. Steelhead Taper line earlier this year to use for Spey casting (per a recommendation from Loomis) but have yet to get out on the water to give it a try. It took me some time to come to the decision to purchase this rod initially, but now that I have it (and particularly now that it's no longer available except from people wanting to sell theirs) I don't see getting rid of it. I've thought about selling it a few times to scratch up cash for another rod, but haven't we all been down that road before... ?
At any rate, I've used the rod mostly to cast large saltwater baitfish patterns in coastal settings, catching striped bass, bluefish, and weakfish.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Earlier this year I bought a used 11,6 and I have had great use of it, as well as great pleasure, landing salmon up to ten pounds with it.

I would be interested in other speypagers experiences with this rod, ie uses, favourite tackle etc.:)

Mostly I´ve been using a Vision ACE 8/9 (dbl hand) intermediate tip of about 9,6 meters and 25 grams, but also heads weighing as little as 19 grams and up to around 30 grams. Seems it, like all great rods, tolerates a wide spectrum of lines.

Someone on the Speypages once wrote that the action of the 11,6 is similar to the 9,6 #7 and the 13´ #8/9 of the GLX range. Of these rods I only have experience of the 13ftr and I can see the reason for comparing it to the 11,6.
I will show you something "else" from Loomis that will make your face "olivegreen"!!!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts