Spey Pages banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a 9/10 rod 14 or 15 ft. I like fast action rods such as the Sage 7141, I like this rod for summer/fall fish. I don't think it( probably me) fishes heavy tips and winter flies well.

Can anybody give me input on the Loomis GL3, I can't afford the the GLx.

Thanks

·
Registered
147 Posts
years ago inherited a loomis gl3 14 ft 9/10 and it did not cast well at all. once while giving a casting demo the rod broke, i took it to loomis and they replaced the entire rod, I consequently gave the rod to a friend and he has been fishing it for the last year. I took the oportunity to cast it one day for a few minutes and it performed very well wiht the 9-10-11 windcutter. the rod they gave me was much different than the original and much better. I still did not like the rod but it did perform. it is a fast taper with a lot of power in the butt and mid but the tip is way too soft in my opinion.. but as i said it did perform well i just didn't enjoy the action...

·
Registered
131 Posts
Hi Purpleperil
If your a fan of a fast action rods and it needs to be a 9/10 and 14', go directly to your local G.Loomis pro-shop and get your hands on a 14' 9/10 Alta. sug. U.S. retail $ 410.00
Rick
G.Loomis pro-staff

·
Relapsed Speyaholic
5,532 Posts
It has been a number of years since I cast the 14' GL3 but memory serves me that it was not a fast actioned rod but a nice rod for the price. It struck me as a somewhat beefier Sage 9140-4 but not close to the Sage 9140-3.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.