Spey Pages banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for a 9/10 rod 14 or 15 ft. I like fast action rods such as the Sage 7141, I like this rod for summer/fall fish. I don't think it( probably me) fishes heavy tips and winter flies well.

Can anybody give me input on the Loomis GL3, I can't afford the the GLx.

Thanks

·
Registered
147 Posts
years ago inherited a loomis gl3 14 ft 9/10 and it did not cast well at all. once while giving a casting demo the rod broke, i took it to loomis and they replaced the entire rod, I consequently gave the rod to a friend and he has been fishing it for the last year. I took the oportunity to cast it one day for a few minutes and it performed very well wiht the 9-10-11 windcutter. the rod they gave me was much different than the original and much better. I still did not like the rod but it did perform. it is a fast taper with a lot of power in the butt and mid but the tip is way too soft in my opinion.. but as i said it did perform well i just didn't enjoy the action...

·
Registered
131 Posts
Hi Purpleperil
If your a fan of a fast action rods and it needs to be a 9/10 and 14', go directly to your local G.Loomis pro-shop and get your hands on a 14' 9/10 Alta. sug. U.S. retail $ 410.00
Rick
G.Loomis pro-staff

·
Swinger of Flies
103 Posts
Theres a 14ft 8/9 GL3 for sale down in the classifieds....

·
Relapsed Speyaholic
5,480 Posts
It has been a number of years since I cast the 14' GL3 but memory serves me that it was not a fast actioned rod but a nice rod for the price. It struck me as a somewhat beefier Sage 9140-4 but not close to the Sage 9140-3.

·
Registered
147 Posts
you are right sink tip it's not fast action but it is very fast taper with most of the fliex in the tip and upper mid where as the sage 9140 has full flex throughout...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts