Spey Pages banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure if this is a 'first,' but don't remember it happening to me.

I've had this rod for years and it's one of my primary summer run 'tip thrower's' .... but desided to put a full floater on it for a change.

Yuck! On my third line (last one is/was the XLT 8-9) AND just can't get this thing to load worth beans. With the 8-9 above, I can get it to lay out, but only by 'brut force' in casting.

Line suggestions anyone? RIO also appears suggest over lining this rod a bit.

fae

·
Registered
169 Posts
Just a suggestion....

Fred, just for the heck of it, put the ORIGINAL line that you used to use back on it and see how it casts. That should at least tell you if it is the rod, or if you lost your sense of timing with it.

If it casts well with the original line, then take the line to a knowlegeable dealer to "match" it for weight by section (if he knows how to do it).

(Darn - one of those times I wish I lived closer so I could help out.)

BobK

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bob good plan, assuming I even had a clue.

Local "dealer" don't even know which end of a spey rod to hold. Actually (and he's a very good guy!!) had 'someone' whose involved with a local shop call me a couple of days ago as he has his first spey rod coming.

Asked me (and I'd long since said i would if he got a rod) give him some 'lessons.' Great Guy, and most happy to do so. Fellows a local guide and really knows our local water in the upper Rogue.

Prid Quo Co. (To Kill! the French Language!!)

:devil:

·
Registered
439 Posts
LINE FOR GL3

Found this rod to be a very easy casting with a Mastery 8/9 Salmon or for shorter work a 8/9 Cortland WF Spey. In other words 500-550 grains should load the rod well.
How is the fishing on the Rouge Fred?
Good luck,
Leroy......................

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Testing with a Delta should be pretty easy

as I know several folks with these lines, ditto the Airflo products.

Well, will play again with it this week and see if I can get the rod off the ground.

Fishing is interesting, at least on Saturday. Ton of fish in the upper river, but with the warming waters from Grants Pass down it was 'lock-jaw' time for the fish. Ron M. and I trashed the water from day break to 1pm and didn't do diddly.

Ah well, that's why they call it 'fishing,' not catching.

fae

1 - 5 of 5 Posts