Spey Pages banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been looking for a longer med to med / fast action rod for throwing tips and big flies. Definitely for deep winter work. I have three main candidates right now, but I'm not sure when I'll get a chance to try them. 14 + length is a requirement for me on this rod due to deep wading.

I've narrowed to 14' 9/10 Loomis GLX Dredger, Fly Logic 14' 9, and Meiser Mike Kinney 14' or 15'.

I'm looking for opportunities to try these rods over the spring and summer but I'm hoping that someone out there might have experience with more than one of these rods and be able to compare them for me.

I'm not really a skagit caster per say, but I do most of my fishing with Circle Spey, Reverse Circle, Doouble and Reverse Double. So this is the sort of casting I'm hoping to get out of these.

I will be lining with WC and may down the road try a skagit head.

Thanks in advance
Gillie

·
Registered
646 Posts
Haven't fished any of these rods but do have some input. Bob Meiser is incredible to work with. His work is stunning. His designs are cutting edge. He has earned my business.

Chris

·
#&%*@^# Caster
3,058 Posts
Hey Man,

The one thing different from the kinney and fly logic as compared to the dredger is the former are more versatile. I feel the dredger is one of the top skagit rods out there but it aint that great if you want to step up to mid or longer belly lines. So if you really just want to get a rod to do only short head work than the dredger would be my choice. However if you are looking for an all rounder the other two may be better choices.

-sean

·
Indicators Anonymous
846 Posts
sean said:
Hey Man,

The one thing different from the kinney and fly logic as compared to the dredger is the former are more versatile. I feel the dredger is one of the top skagit rods out there but it aint that great if you want to step up to mid or longer belly lines. So if you really just want to get a rod to do only short head work than the dredger would be my choice. However if you are looking for an all rounder the other two may be better choices.

-sean
That is very true with the 6/7, 7/8 and 8/9 Dredgers, however, the 9/10 is an admirable stick with longer lines as well. :)

·
Banned
161 Posts
To Ryan's point, the 14' 9/10 is a significantly more robust rod than any of the other Dredgers. I have the 8/9 and love it for the reverse circle and perry poke, but think it lacks a general versatility. It is, however, silky smooth and very enjoyable to fish. I fished the 9/10 as well and found it to be a much better all-around rod.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Loomis Dredger vs Fly Logic

Hi gent's
The line testing that was done on the Dredgers was with mid length heads, since at the time of testing there were no manufactured Skagit lines. These rods will perform exceptional with these lines as they will with the new Skagit Head systems. I had the good fortune to spend a few day's with Mark McAneeley and Chris Seipio on Vancouver Island casting and fishing one of Marlow's custom heads and a prodo-type Airflo Skagit line on a couple of 8/9 13' 9" Dredgers. Chris, Mark and I will definatly be fishing this system in the future.
As soon as we get out of this deep freeze, Neil and I will be making weekly trips to the river to cast. I have a Dredger 8/9 set up and ready to go, come and cast it. Your all welcome, then you be the Judge !!
Rick Whorwood
G.Loomis Pro-Staff

·
fly on little wing
1,119 Posts
Hello Gillie

I have the Fly Logic 14' 9wt. I like this stick but it is kind of heavy in the hand. I am looking to replace this with a 7/8 in the same length or longer. I throw a WC 9/10/11 with this rod. I want to try a MS 8/9. this may feel better. Will you be at the GL speyclave? I can bring this along. Last year there was Fly Logic rep there with all 3 rods. Let me know.

G

·
Speyladdie
429 Posts
Gillie.
I will be bringing a selection of the new Loomis rods to the Mo Clave.
Speyladdie. :smokin:

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Neil,
Do you know if there will be a 14' 9/10 Dredger GLX there :devil: . It's about an 8 hour drive for me so I would have to get Fri and Mon off from work but it might be doable.

Gillie

·
Registered
131 Posts

Gillie
Spey Laddie has a 8/9 Dredger GLX set up with a Skagit line, he also has a full understanding of how to use it (having spent time with Marlow on the Lewis river). Knowing Neil as I do, he'll spend the time with you needed to get you sorted out with this system. The 8/9 is more than enough rod for the Great lakes region. It will be worth the drive !!
Voodoofly, Ask Neil to set up the 15ft. 7/8 Grease Liner for you. This rod is sweet, if you have a Mid/Spey 8/9 bring it along, this line should be perfect on this rod.
Also try some of the Stingers series, the 9/10 Alta is one of my favorites.

It's going to be like Christmas morning on the Mo, and Santa Neil will have the Goods.
Rick Whorwood
G.Loomis pro-staff

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Rick,
The 14' 9/10 (or whichever I choose) would fill a niche rod position for me on 1 or 2 GL tribs, and will hopefully be meeting the Skeena system with me in 2006 :hihi: :hihi: .

Most of my rods right now are 12'6" to 13' in length and I want this next one to go a little bigger.

Gillie

·
Registered
131 Posts

Hi Gillie
The Line I used on my 8/9 GLX Dedger was 604.8 grains with sink tip (a Marlow custom), I have a 712 grain line (with tip) ( a Marlow custom) that should work well on the 9/10 GLX 14ft. Dedger. I'll check with Loomis Canada tomorrow and see if they have a 9/10 in stock, if so I'll pull it. If they don't Neil will do his best to have one at the Mo Clave from Washington. Either way we'll do our best to have this set up ready for you to try at the Mo. Clave. If you can't make the Clave please let me know and we can make plan's to get you the opportunity to try this rod, We could possibly meet on the Niargara, best on a week day, even later in the day after you finish work.
The Rio and Airflo lines should be available for the Clave. So there should be a number of different option's for you to try.
Rick Whorwwod
G.Loomis pro-staff

1 - 12 of 12 Posts