Spey Pages banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have logged about a week's worth of fishing and playing around on the 13' 9" 8/9 Dredger. The first thing that I will say is pretty much an across the board comment on all the rods in this series... they are lighter in action, by at least one line weight rating, than other rods. For example, this 8/9 compares in power with most other 7 weights on the market. This should fit in well with the new line ratings. Another interesting note - this rod casts about the same amount of weight as a 8/9 weight 11 1/2' singlehanded rod does when such a rod is outfitted to Skagit cast. This means that these rods, when hefted in hand, will feel very close to what actual singlehanded rods of similar line ratings would if they were "extended" out to a longer length. In other words, if you fish the 13' 9" 8/9 Dredger, it would be similar in casting/fish fighting aspects as would a singlehanded 8/9 weight rod, instead of feeling like a 10 weight like many 8/9 doublehanders do.

I found 590 grains to be optimum for this rod in the Skagit casting capacity. I have thrown heads measuring from 31' to 40', that incorporated T-14 tips from 6' to 9'. The longer the head, the more distance, the shorter the head, the better its "confined" casting ability. I had a ton of fun with the 31' head, which can cast out to around 85' with a 9' T-14 tip and weighted string leech, yet really let's you get tight into highbanks or trees. On a side note, this is an HONEST distance capability. 85' when standing in the water is a LONG WAYS out there. I stress this because there is much "embellishment" of casting distance that occurs in the Speycasting world, causing distances such as 85' to often sound rather ordinary, when "real life" exercises tend to show otherwise. I have yet to touch a steely on this rod (conditions for the last couple of weeks have been iffy), but have caught quite a few Dollies on it. 16" to 19" ers are fun on this rod, and 4,5, and 6 pounders bend it pretty good. This rod should be an excellent all-around summer steelheading stick, and a potent "sporty" winter steelhead rod for those anglers that are into optimizing their fun factor by light tackle fishing.

·
Member FRSCA
2,264 Posts
Have any time with the 13ft4in7/8 Kispiox? I have been eyeballing it here recently. I heard a story that the action of the 13ft4in5/6 metolious and the 7/8 kispiox were quite similar, any truth to that story?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts