Spey Pages banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so,what do you all think of the loomis 13 ft 8/9 glx and the 14 ft 8/9 gl3 and why?

·
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic
1,771 Posts
I only have real experience with the retired IMX 15 ft 4pc 8/9 - nice rod. I am a Sage guy all the way but I got this one for a song and have really come to like it. Sorry but I have no idea how it relates to the current GLX equivalent.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Loomis had (probably past tense) two 15-footers in the GL3 series, with confusingly similar designations but quite distinct characteristics. The faster was the F18010/ll, with a .750" butt and a 6/64" tip. This was a rather fast-action rod, good with floating lines but with insufficient tip strength for muscleing heavy sink tips.
The other one, also 3-piece, was the F18010/ll SPEY, with a .650" butt and a 6.5/64" tip. The rod I built from this blank was mu favorite winter/spring rod for several years (although a new 16-foot Daiwa Alltmor AMF seems an improvement). I nicknamed this fine rod Big Easy. It's not at all noodly like the Gold-n-West "true spey action" rods of Mike Maxwell, just a slow, forgiving action matched with a 444 DT10/ll spey line and either sinking or floating tips. This blank may still be available from Dale Clemens Custom Tackle,444 Schantz Road, Allentown, PA 18104; phone (610) 395-5119.

·
Registered
89 Posts
In my own experience I think the GLX 8/9 13ft. is more of an over head rod, the 8/9 GL3 14ft. is more of a Spey Rod (and is much slower then the GLX) I find that when I use tip's (type3-6) that the GL3 is a bit soft, but for dry work it cast a nice line. I have a GLX 9/10 14ft. on order, and believe it will make a good rod for tip's. I also have a GLX 10/11 although I got it late in the season and didn't have a chance to use it much, what casting I did with it, it seems to be right on the money. If your looking for a light Spey (7/8) may I suggest trying the Trilogy 7/8 13ft. this rod is a nice dry line rod for (small streams) in the East as well gaining popularity in the West. There is a lot of press about different rods and how they cast, my only suggestion would be to try them out yourself, most people develope their own style of casting and what might suit me isn't favored by someone else. Maybe a Spey Clave would be the place to test drive some of these rods.

·
Registered
127 Posts
7/8 trilogy

I have cast the Loomis Gl3 8/9, and 9/10 and would say they are both a stick. The 7/8 trilogy 13 foot is one of my favorite rods. It is around 7 oz. A very light well balanced rod with the best handle I have found in a spey rod. It is a real pleasure to cast and will handle a floating as well as a sink tip. I have used it on many rivers as well as the Skeena system. I may feel a little under gunned on the Thompson. Jerry

·
Premium Member
756 Posts
Hi Metalhead, i own a GLX 13' 8/9 and i like it. It was the rod i used most last year on the Deschutes River. I used a windcutter 8/9/10 and it handled it very well. Simon Gawesworth over at Rio rates the rod for a 8/9/10 or a 9/10/11 if you are a beginner, I bought the wrong line so i had to work at it last spring just to get my stroke down. I can now handle it fine. The rod casts the type 3 or type 6 sink tips very well and i had no problems with it. It is a fast action rod but it can be very forgiving if you mess up on a cast(i found that if i carry on with the cast after i did somthing wrong it would still launch a line quite a distance). I am very happy with it but i have to admit i do prefer Loomis Rods over any other company( i also own the GLX 14' 9/10, GLX 15' 10/11 and a GL3 9/10):devil:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Whiskey Dick,

Finally something positive about a Loomis Rod. Thank You. I bought a GL3 9/10 a few weeks ago, mostly because it was in the price range I could afford. Had I bought a Sage from the rack beside it, I would not have a reel or line, ( and possibly my wife), and I would still only be reading about Spey fishing on this board, (for me, test driving a Spey rod was like test driving a bus, they were all just big...). Maybe it's a "stick", but I figure what I learn on will be what I am comfortable using, until I eventually have the finess to appreciate a better rod. (and in all those years I can save for a better outfit ?). I am having a blast with it now, and isn't that what fishing is about?

Looking forward to Dana's Spey class in March,

Ron

·
Registered
89 Posts
Whiskey Dick

Have you try'd any of Tim Rajeff's, Airflo ( Delta Spey Long) lines on your GLX's or GL3's? I bought some, but haven't had a chance to try them yet (we're frozen in at the moment). What line are you using on your 9/10 GLX 14 ?. I'm also glad to see some positive press on G.Loomis Rods, they make great rods

·
Premium Member
756 Posts
EskimoR, Welcome to Spey Fishing, you are going to love it.:D A GL3 9/10, what a nice rod, you will have fun with it. What line are you using for it. They are all big sticks but you got a rod that works well, will handle tips very nicely and only weighs 7.85 oz and the price is Right. And you are right "having a blast is what fishing is all about" .What about that xpeditor service Loomis has?
break the rod and one phone call and 50 bucks gets you a new rod shipped to you in 2 days,thats service.
Hi Rick, I have been using a windcutter on my GLX 14' 9/10, It handles it very nice, It throws tips a mile, you will like this rod.I have been thinking of upgrading but i do not know which line to get, i think i will probably leave it until after the Sandy River Spey Clave so i can try out a lot of different lines before i upgrade. Please post the results of your experience with the Delta Spey lines after you unfreeze:D . I would be very interested in how you get on, And i agree with you 100% Loomis makes great rods.:devil:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Whiskey Dick,

I am using the Rio MidSpey WFL 9/10 line. This line was recommended for this rod by both the store that sold the rod, and by someone in the previous Forum, (a few months ago).

I checked my rod again and it is actually the 8/9 wt., GL3. The heavier line is supposed to be a better setup for beginners,(?). And I got a 19" Bull trout last week, (first fish on the rod! :hehe: ) OK, it's not a steelhead, but no self respecting steelhead would hang around within a 100' of my beginner's casting "technique"....

Ron

·
Registered
89 Posts
Whiskey Dick
I'll let you know when I get a chance to use them (Airflo Lines). I've been using Midspey lines up to now. Have you played around with any other head set up's or do you stay with the heads that came with your Windcutter. This is one area I need information on, I've been using the Type 3 and the Type 6 but would like to expand my inventory of heads. Not often, but sometimes you need that little extra weight or less weight to get a good drift.
I'm still a bit confused about the whole tip set up thing.

On another note:
I was in England two weeks ago, picked up Vol.1-2 of Michael Evans tapes Speycasting & Salmon Fishing.
Have you had a chance to view these tapes?
I found them to be excellent.

·
Premium Member
756 Posts
Hi Rick, i have cast a Rio bigboy 24' tip with the14' GLX 9/10 , it was the 400 grain wt and i had no problems with it. Like you there are times that i think i need to get down deeper so the next purchase is going to be the 500 grain wt to see what that will do for me. The 400 grain wt has a sink rate of 7.25 ips and the 500 grain wt has a sink rate of 8.25 ips, i think they will cover about all my fishing needs. No i have not seen any of the Michael Evens tapes but i am going over the pond in april which will give me a chance to see them. How do you like the Midspey lines?. I do not know if i should move to the midspey lines or go with the Accelerator upgrade. With the upgrade it would give me almost a 70' head which would be nice. Tight lines,brian

·
Registered
89 Posts
Whiskey Dick

I like the Midspey very much. With a 12-15ft leader, on a 14-15ft rod and all the belly just outside the tip top, I can cover most if not all Southern Ontario's Steelhead streams. To be quite honest, are streams are not all that wide, and my casting still needs work, (if I'm going to join the 120ft club). What about the rivers you fish (width and distance?)

·
SRO Direct Dealer
578 Posts
I have been using the Upgrade on my 8/9/10 WindCutter and love it. I have a St. Croix 14' 9/10 and I can snake cast a #6 sink tip if I roll cast to get it up on top.

I have put loops in the rear taper and tried different #2 tips to see what a longer taper does. The set up I like the best now is a #2 8/9/10 tip as the rear taper and the 7/8/9 Upgrade and floating tip up front. I have not tried sink tips. My next time out I will see how this set up handles sink tips. I have ordered a #2 tip without loops which I will splice into the rear taper. This gives me an 11' rear taper.Total head length is about 85'. I can do a pretty consistant snake roll with 4' in the guides and if I get everything just right I can make it work with 2' in the guides. I think this configuration is about the max. for my ability and rod.

Hope this information is of value to you.

Rich

·
Registered
89 Posts
Thanks Rich
I've been out tying flies with our monthly tying club, so did get a chance to thank you for your reply. After reading Whiskey's and your replies. It look's like I'll need to order a few sinking heads.
Thanks again
Rick Whorwood

·
Premium Member
756 Posts
ol Rich,thanks for the info,the more i hear and think about it the upgrade makes sense to me. Please keep us informed on how your set up casts sink tips,I need that info:D
Rick, i would class the Deschutes as a medium size river,with casts of about 80' you will be covering fish. A lot of the runs on the upper section are tree lined and the bottom of the river drops off within 10' of the bank so a Spey Rod works really well.:devil: The costal rivers are smaller but also tree lined so a Spey Rod works well there.tight lines,brian

·
loco alto!
2,979 Posts
well, I don;t have any loomis rods, but I fish both the Deschutes and the coast rivers in OR. For me some of the coast rivers are just too small for a spey rod, which gets tangled in the brush more often than not. But they are brush lined, so I take full advantage with a single handed rod (10') using spey casting techniques.

Spey casting has done much more for then spey fishing, and for that I'm really quite thankful.

·
Premium Member
756 Posts
Hi loco_alto, you are right on a lot of the costal streams are too small for a spey rod, even the 13' i take over there. I agree with you about using a 10' single hander and spey casting with it,it just makes sense:D As for not having any Loomis rods, i think rod selection is a personal choice and if a rod works for you thats the way to go. There are a lot of good rod manufacturers out there besides Loomis and i hope to own a few of them one day:devil: tight lines,brian

·
Registered
89 Posts
Whiskey Dick, Loco_alto, Ol Rich,

If you guy's were to pick three of your, most proven, most productive, and all around (can't go to the river without these flies) for Spey fishing (no nymphs) what would they be? Colour and size's, you would find most productive during the season.
Also what hooks do you favor, and why.

Loco_alto,
If you like steelheading with rods of 8-9wt give a G.Loomis FR1388/9-3 11'6" GLX a try. This rod is a great single hander
for roll casting, and shooting heads.

Thanks Rick

·
Premium Member
756 Posts
Rick, A great question,just pick 3 :devil: . Well for the Deschutes they would be the Green Butted Skunk, Purple Peril and Big Black.Hook sizes would be 2s, 4s and 6s for the first two and for Big Black 2s and 4s silver long shank. I do seem to favor Daiichi hooks. Now this is all subject to change as i have started tying tube flies, ask me again at the end of this year:devil: tight lines,brian

1 - 20 of 28 Posts