Spey Pages banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Loomis GLX FR1388/9-3 and will soon be purchasing line. I am interested in any and all input on lining the rod both from a single hand perspective and from a double hand perspective.

A few queries. What would be the best way to go for primarily single hand casting (moderate length casts) with the occasional two handed cast? Any recommendations on line (make and weight appreciated) for this approach.

For folks who have strung it with a spey line, again, what make and weight is recommended.

Last, any other observations would be appreciated.

Many Thanks,

Eric

·
Pullin' Thread
4,694 Posts
Eric,

One of the single-handed rod salmon/steelhead taper lines in either 8 wt or 9 wt would be the ticket. Whether you to use the 8 wt or 9 wt depends on whether you like a lighter load or a bet heavier load on the rod when you cast. This rod works well with either of these line wts as long as it is one of the salmon/steelhead lines. It also casts very well with a RIO single hand Windcutter in 9 wt.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Eric,
I have this rod and absolutely love it. That being said, I haven't used it much in the last few years as I have been going 2 handed but I have used the versa-tip on it in 8wt. It casts this line great and when I feel like a change from my spey rods it feels good to cast this rod again.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I've been using the Airflo 40+ 9wt. floating for both overhead and underhand casting.Off the beach I use the 40+ 8wt. in a slow and fast intermediate.The Rio Outbound is basically the same line taper configuration.I found the Hardy Mach 1 Trout in a 8wt. a little light.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts