Spey Pages banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Lost my wading staff and looking for a replacement, at my age I can no longer fish without one. collapsible 3/4". Thanks Mare

·
Administrator
2,450 Posts
Not that you're looking for a new one...but I just bought the Simms wading staff and am VERY pleased with it. Sturdy, easy to "assemble" and collapse.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would prefer a used one so as not to be too expensive, but at the end of the day I'll have to do whatever is necessary to replace it. Thanks Mare

·
Registered
711 Posts
I've had my Simms staff for 11 or 12 yrs now, and it's been great. There's barely any paint left on the bottom two feet, but the elastic cord is still strong, and the joints are tight as ever.

·
Registered
748 Posts
I have a wading staff--not selling it...that I made from an old, broken log scaling stick. It has been with me for 30 years or more. You can find scaling sticks on Ebay although I'm not sure which kinds would be appropriate. Like I said I got mine as a discard from the lumber industry.

John Hazel at the flyshop in Maupin, Oregon (Deschutes Angler) has some wading staffs, made of wood for around $60.00 if I recall correctly.

Whether you were to buy from him or not, you might want to look into a wooden staff. A good one is, in my opinion better, than a folding staff.

Just a thought...YMMV

·
Administrator
2,450 Posts
Lost my wading staff and looking for a replacement, at my age I can no longer fish without one. collapsible 3/4". Thanks Mare
Mare...do you want one that breaks down to many small sections of just one that maybe collapses to 1/2 extended length. I might have one that does the latter.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Until you find the exact one you want get an second hand Ski pole..... Ski areas have plenty of singles on hand and free, using some PVC you can also make it 2 or 3 piece!

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
I have a folstaf around here somewhere. I'll see if I can find it today. It's next to new. $60.00 shipped to you. Paypal fine.

·
Registered
396 Posts
I've had a Folstaff for many years. It started to bend a bit, the joints loosened a bit so I returned it for a tune-up. New cork, new tip. new cord, now perfectly straight...all for $35...best service and best deal ever. Can't say enough good about that business.

·
just one more cast...
163 Posts
a stick

Mare,

How about one of these? I used a Folstaff for 20 years or so, and still have it, works fine, very durable. But of late, I use these,,, I find better in every way on most rivers I fish (except not collapsable- not a problem to me). Quieter, stronger, more friendly, equivalent weight (floats nicely), and easily replaceable. This one has been with me for 3 years or so, I wouldn't consider selling it. :)

Attachments

·
Administrator
2,450 Posts
Mare,

How about one of these? I used a Folstaff for 20 years or so, and still have it, works fine, very durable. But of late, I use these,,, I find better in every way on most rivers I fish (except not collapsable- not a problem to me). Quieter, stronger, more friendly, equivalent weight (floats nicely), and easily replaceable. This one has been with me for 3 years or so, I wouldn't consider selling it. :)
That stick is probably like a friend at this point. Lots of on the water memories in something like that.

·
Registered
186 Posts
wading stick

My favorite among a half dozen various is a length of 1" bamboo that I varnished, wrapped the handle with parachute line leaving a 3' tag with a clip, and finished the bottom with a copper solder cap I put a crutch tip over. Light, hella strong, and best of all, floats when I release it, so never tripping on it underwater. Once used it to fend off a rattler I almost tripped over while hiking a remote river basin that was about to teach me a potentially lethal lesson.

Ski pole, Simms, wrapped broom handle, whatever, never wade without one.

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
As is frequently the case, I'll be the 'contrairian' here. I'm dead set against any wading staff that 'folds up.' Because that's exactly what they can do if you really have to put your body weight into the thing (happed to me). You can guess the rest.

Use a solid wood staff with approx 1 pound of sheet lead wrapped up the bottom. The lead keeps the point of the staff on the bottom just exactly where it should be. Upper handle can 'float,' but the bottom should always be just exactly there.

I purchased mine out of the UK from a fellow called "The Stickman" and this thing just flat works. Did get it 'tricked out,' but what the hell, 'In for a Penny, In for a Pound.' That said, the whole thing (including shipping) was a tad over $125.00 USD.

As to length ..... handle at chest height when 'straight up and down.' The length is important as this allows you to 'probe' the bottom before you step.

Fed

·
Registered
999 Posts
I'm dead set against any wading staff that 'folds up.' Because that's exactly what they can do if you really have to put your body weight into the thing
I agree! I purchased a "Sharpes of Alberdeen" wading staff from the Red Shed 2 years ago and its been working great. If you get in a tricky situation its always ready to go. No need to pull it out and assemble. Built solid and has a measuring tape glued along its length which comes in handy for checking water depth or measuring fish.

I still use my Folstaff in the summer when water is lower and warmer.

·
Banned
289 Posts
Wading staff

As I can see the advantages of a folding wading stick I would not want one. I always take my wading stick with me, and for the simple reason it has saved me from falling in many times when I have slipped or tripped. Many of the wood staffs that I have seen displayed superb detail and workmanship but they also float if not weighted. Over the years I have owned a few different staffs but the one that I now use is the best that I have ever owned by far. I bought the staff from Poppy (Redshed) -it is metal and the first apprx. one foot is filled with lead so that when you place the end down it stays down. Also it is a one piece stick so it can`t come apart no matter what. The staff is also a great aid in climbing out of one of your favorite fishing holes that are surronded by steep banks. When I am loading my gear to go on my outing the very first item loaded is my trusty staff. Thanks Poppy.

Regards.

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
I hear you Harley, I so hear you. I'm 70 and when it comes to 'balance' that's not in my favor ....... First thing that goes in the water is the tip of my staff.:smokin:

·
Registered
941 Posts
I built a couple of these from used tent poles. I ran a shock cord through, used a bicycle handle grip, lead in the tip, and rubber tip (with a washer inside to keep from cutting through). The hammer loop works perfectly as a holster for keeping it handy until I need it. I can put my full weight on it without it collapsing.
It hasn't let me down in 5 years.
I'm looking at options for necking down aluminum tubing so I can produce a few more for friends.

Attachments

·
JD
3,609 Posts
wading staffs

Unless I am flying, I see no need for a collapsible wading staff. I have one of those fancy telescoping staffs, but the only time it sees water is when I can't take my one piece wood staff with me. It wobbles & vibrates under load in a strong current and makes me nervous.

As to wooden staffs, full float vs. those that are weighted to sink. That is a matter of personal preference. I like the full floating. I can see where it is at all times. The top end hangs at waist length, bottom end, except in extreme shallow water, floating down stream.

There is something to be said about making your own from what nature provides.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts