Spey Pages banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, Folks. I chatted with Dana about this request and received his OK, prior to making this post. I am a TU lifer and new member of the Board of the Kalamazoo Valley Chapter of Trout Unlimited (KVCTU) Kalamazoo, MI. We are celebrating our 40th year of existence this year with our annual Banquet coming this April 22 in Parchment, MI. Now, our annual Banquets serve to help us raise the monies needed to allow us to support all the cold water fishery projects we deem to be good investments to preserve and improve our cold water fisheries on a National scale. I might add that ALL of the monies we donate go to the cause of cold water fisheries. Here's just a sampling of some of the projects we have donated monies to: The Yellowstone Foundation, Whirling Disease Research, youth camps around the Nation to train/teach our youth to properly fly fish as well as take care of the cold water fisheries, The Nature Conservancy Foundation, Three Dollar Bridge Fund; plus, we grant monies on National levels to college students who are inclined to pursue studies/careers in support of our cold water fisheries. There are others as well that we support. We have a large membership in our Chapter of around 500 members from all over the USA- not all members are active, however. OK, now down to business, what I'd like to ask you folks is if you might want to contribute any items that relate to fly fishing in our cold water fisheries to our Chapter-flies, lines, rods,fly boxes,etc, etc? With these items we have several large tables set up in our rented Banquet facility to display all these items we have donated to us by many, many people and entities to help us. With these items we have "raffles" and many silent auctions. Our Auctioneer is Mr. Glenn Blackwood of the big fly fishing operation in Rockford, MI. The same man who sponsored our Spey Clave this past spring at Newaygo, MI on the Muskegon River. Our Assistant Chairman of the Banquet Committee is Mr. Kevin Thomason. Kevin is in charge of managing and presenting all of the donated articles for this year's Banquet. If any would like to donate any articles or have more info on our needs, please feel free to contact Kevin by e mail at: [email protected] In closing I'd like to thank everyone for any help they could offer. Best, Stiver

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK, let me try

Hello, JJ. If I were to assume that on a National level that TU did not support C&R on all wild Steelhead and all other cold water species that we value; that would reverse everything that I believe TU stands for. Our Chapter does indeed practice and proclaim C&R. Most all of us even release the Steelhead that were planted. I must do some research with the men in the know in our Chapter before I can give you any firm answer to this question. In other words I'd like to get a written statement from the TU Mission Writings to clarify that for you. Please bear with me and I'll get an answer. Thanks and best regards, Stiver

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
a little more input

JJ, I have e mailed TU National asking them for a statement regarding C&R on all wild Steelhead. Am waiting a repy. Patience is not one of my virtues; thus, I went to work going back through the many, many articles that have been published in TU's Magazine, "Trout." JJ, they have articles that are literally strewn with C&R practices on all cold water fish. I deduct that they are as convinced as I, that if we don't ALL practice C&R soon we will have no fisheries left and will be forced to fish for hatchery plants in our cold water rivers. JJ, I cannot speak for TU and I can only wait to get their reply. I might add that you could go to TU's Web Site and see all the multitude of things and see for yourself if there be any hint that TU does not back C&R on our wild Steelhead. Their W/S: www.tu.org I am firmly convinced that Trout Unlimited does indeed not only support, but mandate C&R on the wild Fish(my opinion now). Will get you firm info soon, I hope. Best, Stiver

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No Response From Tu National

JJ, I am saddened to tell you and any others that after repeated e mails to TU National via their W/S, they have chosen to ignore my request for an answer to your question as to their stand on C&R of wild Steelhead. I will refrain from any other statements as I am very troubled over their seemingly "I don't care attitude." Sign me sorry, Stiver

1 - 6 of 6 Posts