Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Im interested in these rods

SAGE Z-Axis 8134-4

SAGE VT2 8139-4

SAGE Brownie 1409-4

SAGE Z-Axis 1409-4

ECHO TR 8136-4

ECHO Dec Hogan 8133-4

I would rather have it be factory built but if they are built by a good custom builder thats fine too.

Im Looking at buying any two of the list .

·
Registered
100 Posts
Why these rods?

Just curious, why these rods?

Other than being about the same lenght and weight, the rods are from very slow to fast action, and because of differences in graphite technology, very light in hand to club like. Not to mention priced hundreds of dollars apart.

James.

·
Chasing Silver
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Im just looking for a 8 and a 9 weight and between 13' -14' . I have researched these rods and they all have positive reviews. Have you had any hands on time with these rods?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Here is what I think, not a sage endorsement, just my thoughts....Currently own and fish a Z-axis 7wt Switch and 7wt Spey, great rods and hands down the best rods I've casted. Very light in hand and fast action, nice feeling handle. I have the Sage VT2 as a back up/guest rod, that is a bits slower action in compared to the Z-Axis but still moderately fast, feels good overall, only complaint is the handle is too fat. I've fished a Brownie 1409, just plain too heavy not a happy experience for me at all. I used to own a Echo Dec Hogan, sold it, it was much too soft/very slow for my liking, Not to say it isn't a great rod. Echo TR, I've only given a couple good shakes, but it's an Echo, they make great stuff.

The point I was making is "do you really know what you want?" No matter if it's cheap or expansive, if it doesn't feel good, you probably won't use it. Take a casting class, go fish with buddies with different rods and find a shop with a casting pond or that will allow you to try before you buy, is the best advice I recieved when I got my first rod...which turned out to be the VT2.

Happy rod hunting!

·
Chasing Silver
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanx for the info. I really wish that i was close enough to a Spey shop or a shop that hot two handers but to my dismay I live in Southern California and none of my fishing buddies who are bait chuckers even have a clue to what a Steelhead and and the art of spey casting is. I came upon a great deal on Both The Z-Axis 8134-4 and the VT2 8139-4 custom built by Gary Anderson the man behind Anderson Custom rods and I took the deal.Do you think I went in the right direction?

·
Registered
83 Posts
you went the right way

My steelhead buddy has the vt2 and have set it up for him its a rocket with rio 600 skagit 7ft cheeter and 10ft. t-8 has caught about 10 fish on it. take the t-8 off and fish 10ft. leader with ligt flies the other set up is for intruder type flies. my 8wt. sage is very close to yours 8129 it is set up just like the vt2 it is the one i use oct. nov. dec. on the deschuttes have the new rs4 7-13-3 that i just love 2 for 4 at the mouth last saturday allmost the same set up it had a 550 skagit 5ft. cheater 10 ft. t-8 5 ft. 15 lb ultra green. what a blast those early metalheads are hot nice fat fish great on the barbie. if you ever get up this way pm and i will take on the big d. tight lines KEN THE STEELHEAD JUNKIE

·
Chasing Silver
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanx for the info. I would be my pleasure to Fish with you when I get a chance to be Up there. Ill keep you in my contacts.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts