Spey Pages banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To all,

Been looking for a source for Scotch barrel staves.

I have a few clients that were inquiring about the possibilty of using old staves for reel seat inserts and lower grips on their two handers.

I thought this to be an interesting idea as well......Hey ya gotta have fun with this sport, that's what it's all about.....};^)....!!!

...The peaty smell of aged Scotch wafting through the snap tee on a warm day, river afternoon....... Would be rather pleasant, and the wood beauty !!!

Meiz

·
Junkyard Spey
7,112 Posts
Hey Bob...

A little trip on Google will get you all you want.

·
fly on little wing
1,121 Posts
very interesting

Bob,

That puts a whole new meaning to getting a picture taken with the rod between the teeth. I can vision it now. A balancing act with the grip, trying to suck out the last few drams.

And the stares from other casters wondering what is that man doing???? The obvious answer is that his flask is dry.

But sheriff I can explain.........

Gary

·
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic
1,771 Posts
Highland or Islay? ;)

Very cool idea!

·
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic
1,771 Posts
Go Highland, you can always suck on a band-aid from the first aid kit on board for the Islay flavor :lildevl:

·
Registered
886 Posts
Meiz,
Leave it with me, I'm in speyside again tomorrow, hell its a hard job but someone has to do it. Sam, the gillie, on Wester Elchies served his time as a cooper before giving up the highly paid job to become a gillie. You should hear his tales of how the coopers of old managed to remove the whisky from the barrels they were repairing.

Could you tell me what legnth/diameter you would require. An immediate post fishing thought, having spent 12 hours speycasting my Meiz rod, the barrel staves are curved to some extent, would this matter? or are you just thinking of a small 1" long piece or the entire reel seat?

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Humm, another way BobMister?

Take a glass, fill with good spirit(s), insert reel handle. Soak, drink spirit(s). :hihi:

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You guys are the best....

And thanks for piping in Malcolm !!!

Although I think Mark ~ MJYP; without question has the most logical answer.....};^)

Malcolm....Good on ya my friend.

.... Both the staves or tops could be used.

The tops/bottoms would be thicker, perhaps close to an 1" or so, they would be good.

But the staves.... Even though thinner and curved would also work.

I would need to laminate either to get the needed thickness, then mill to profile....But the longer and thicker the pieces the better.

The more that the barrels have been used the better the Oak will be.....Need those sweet vapors !

I'll mail you as well.

Dang.....I'm getting thirsty.

Meiz

·
Here we go again!
620 Posts
A spey rod that reeks of scotch? Where do I sign up! I may just sit in the truck with it all day, inhaling deeply (unlike Clinton). Hope I don't get pulled over though, might get me an opened container citation!

·
Registered
886 Posts
Meiz,
How much would you like?
PM me your order and I will organise it. Barrel staves come in all diffent sizes as you need a mixture of thickness to make a round barrel if they were all the same size you would end up with a decogon or similer.
I have had a lesson on barrel making today very interesting

Which one do you fancy?
not the one at the bottom please

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey Willie,

I hope they offered a few toasts with the tour......};^)...!!!

.....Boy that's a pretty sight, and the makings for a lot of friendly future libation in all those barrels.

You think they may have an opening for a couple of Yanks in product field testing ?

Might be a good way to supplement Freds retirement plan !!!

....Thanks for helping out Malcolm.

Looks like it was a dirty job...... You were really in the trenches on this one.....};^)

I'll mail you today.
......Meiz

1 - 12 of 12 Posts