Spey Pages banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hiyas was curious if somebody could give some insight on shorter 8 wt.. Last year I started experimenting for the first time a shorter than 15'ft rod , decided i might give the skagit style rods a try and went out and got myself a loomis dredger kispiox 13'4 7-8 wt and paired it up with a rio 450gr skagit style line, I like it just fine its a blast gave me a new style to explore however it wasnt exactly what i was looking for ...
My main rod for most of the winter is a old GLX 15'ft 10 wt paired with a Xlt SA line and the thing is just a cannon I prefer the stiffness of it and the distance it can produce on the bigger rivers when im waist high in the water... Anyways what im looking for input on is a Stiffer 13'ft or shorter 7-8-9 wt ? rod that can throw a long bellie style line was thinking of maybe a shorter Glx but its a bit pricey for an experiment also the Loop green line came to mind something good for coho and small steelies in the smaller streams and sloughs..

·
Registered
869 Posts
for a fast action 13' 8 wt take a look at the scott a2 very capable rod and reasonably priced. this rod amazed me after fishing and casting it for a couple of weeks, didn't expect this kind of performance from a "cheap" rod. my favorite is still the T&T in the 1208 or 1308 but simply not an inexpensive alternative. that's what i'm familiar with.

edit to say i almost forgot about the new shooting head special scott ls2 12'6" 9 wt. really a cannon and definitly a favorite for underhand, if a little pricier though. not the same action as the other ls2's at all.

·
Junkyard Spey
7,114 Posts
Anyways what im looking for input on is a Stiffer 13'ft or shorter 7-8-9 wt ? rod
Snowbee 13'-8/9 priced @ $400.00

·
Registered
445 Posts
Loop Green

..................Jwsteelheader,the Loop Green is a fast action rod,plenty of power for whatever you want to cast,comes with a spare tip,too. Plenty of backbone for taking the fight to the fish. If you're looking for something shorter for small streams,a Loop Blue is a little slower,but still no slouch. It depends on what size fish you are going to fish for,and the size of the water.

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
Gary Anderson has a series of 13'3" rods that might fit the bill. I have his 7 wt and my friend has his 8 wt and they throw both long belly and skagit style nicely. Meiser has some great rods also

·
Relapsed Speyaholic
5,533 Posts
The Snowbee 8/9 is a great rod for the money and certainly stiff enough. As Black Francis said, the T&T 1308 and 1208 also are good choices but pricey.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the help seems i have some research to do .. Well ive got two rods to try in the next couple of days I've got a Winston 13'3 7/8 Boron IIX , from what ive been told at the shop is its a fairly new rod..? and ive got a Loop Blue 8124-4 with and 8 wt line not sure exactly which lines they are but i'll be sure to find out. Ill be sure to post up a report on my findings.

·
Registered
117 Posts
BIIx 13'-3" 7/8

Let me know what you think of the Winston. I've got one coming up to take a look at. I've heard really good things so far.

Thanks,

Matt

1 - 8 of 8 Posts