Spey Pages banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning everyone,

I am looking to chat with anyone who can share some information with me on fishing Manitoulin Island. My wife has said we are camping lots this year to get out of the house. I am hoping to find some spots to camp where I can go fishing as well. Trout in streams or rivers is the goal. Not really interested in boat fishing, unless it is my raft and drifiting a river. The dream is the Gaspe but it may be too far with a 3 and 6 year old in tow. For some reason my wife say that they can not drive for 16 hours solid?

Thank you for your time.
Regards
Brayden

·
Registered
Pieroway MD510, MD400
49 Posts
I’m not familiar with the island at all, but if you check out “fish ON-line” you may get a better idea of what’s available there. Just a quick search on there and I found a few Rainbow Streams. It’s not the greatest resource but it’s better than nothing and it has all of the MnR stocks as well.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks I thought I had combed all internet resources already. I will take a look.

Regards
Brayden

·
Premium Member
156 Posts
I'm not sure how welcoming the island is going to be this year. As I recall it's mostly Native lands and they're not too thrilled to have strangers bringing diseases into their territories.
From what I've seen all reserves in the last year are forbidding visitors.
There's plenty of nice water up and down the Bruce peninsula though.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Valid point, I had not considered. My home waters are on the Bruce and Huron tribs. I know them well, just thought the island would be a good place to camp with the family while I scooted out to chase some fish.

Brayden

·
Broken Down Spey Freak
1,827 Posts
I have not fished on the island itself but have taken the ferry across. It's pricey to say the least and the traffic from Tobermory down is just brutal.
Can I make another suggestion or two? There is some great camping around the upper Grand with plenty of trout and can be floated for miles. Not too far from home for you but that may be a good thing. Another place I would like to check out is the Ottawa valley say from Mattawa down. Lots of brook tout around, musky in the main river and everything else. Also floatable for the bonus. Not a terrible drive either.

Good luck on your journey Brayden.

·
Premium Member
156 Posts
Work circumstances in the last 18 months have taken me from Alberta to P.E.I. and back west to Vancouver island. But I'm originally from the southern Georgian bay region. I spent time there during the first wave lockdown fishing my old haunts with new methods, but I digress.
Having recently seen so much of the country I've concluded that if there was a single region I could travel to, explore and fish, it would be the north shore region of Lake Superior. Specifically the rivers from Sault ste. Marie to around Wawa-ish.
The beauty can't be beat and the rivers are rumored to have nearly every species of fish a fly swinger could hope for.
I hope I'm not blowing anybody's fishy hideaway but that's where I would go if I was in Ontario and things opened up in the spring and summer.
Lief

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have not fished on the island itself but have taken the ferry across. It's pricey to say the least and the traffic from Tobermory down is just brutal.
Can I make another suggestion or two? There is some great camping around the upper Grand with plenty of trout and can be floated for miles. Not too far from home for you but that may be a good thing. Another place I would like to check out is the Ottawa valley say from Mattawa down. Lots of brook tout around, musky in the main river and everything else. Also floatable for the bonus. Not a terrible drive either.

Good luck on your journey Brayden.
Thanks Dan,

I fished and camped in that area a ton growing up. It got so busy I have not been back in years. Might be worth a exploration again. Lots to do for the wife and kids.
Thanks

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Work circumstances in the last 18 months have taken me from Alberta to P.E.I. and back west to Vancouver island. But I'm originally from the southern Georgian bay region. I spent time there during the first wave lockdown fishing my old haunts with new methods, but I digress.
Having recently seen so much of the country I've concluded that if there was a single region I could travel to, explore and fish, it would be the north shore region of Lake Superior. Specifically the rivers from Sault ste. Marie to around Wawa-ish.
The beauty can't be beat and the rivers are rumored to have nearly every species of fish a fly swinger could hope for.
I hope I'm not blowing anybody's fishy hideaway but that's where I would go if I was in Ontario and things opened up in the spring and summer.
Lief
Thanks Leif,

On my list as well.

Brayden

·
Registered
42 Posts
The dream is the Gaspe but it may be too far with a 3 and 6 year old in tow. For some reason my wife say that they can not drive for 16 hours solid?
Mine will be 6 months and 2.5 years. Thought about driving over Superior (with stops along the way in SSM and Nipigon for Salmon) to Thunder Bay to see Grandma. Not going to happen!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Thanks Dan,

I fished and camped in that area a ton growing up. It got so busy I have not been back in years. Might be worth a exploration again. Lots to do for the wife and kids.
Thanks
There are very nice B&Bs and Spa/Inns to drop them off at while you go fishing (my tactic). Cross our fingers on the status of the lockdown.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts