Spey Pages banner
21 - 40 of 45 Posts

· Registered
1,326 Posts
You may have done something with this already, but I think some footage of some of the easy mistakes that we all tend to make? For instance, maybe highlighting when and where many casts start to go awry with slack? I can remember as a total beginner how helpful it was when an instructor had me pause a few times to point out my high rod tip when initiating the lift, or my hand positions at various moments during the D loop formation.

· BULL DOG!!!!
Gaelforce
2,962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
You may have done something with this already, but I think some footage of some of the easy mistakes that we all tend to make? For instance, maybe highlighting when and where many casts start to go awry with slack? I can remember as a total beginner how helpful it was when an instructor had me pause a few times to point out my high rod tip when initiating the lift, or my hand positions at various moments during the D loop formation.
this touches on some of that

Reactions: Salar-1

· Registered
134 Posts
I think it would be great to see a video of how you approach casting when (1) your ability to wade very far out is limited and (2) there is restricted space behind you for the D-loop (e.g., trees). That’s a situation that frequently leaves me flummoxed.

· BULL DOG!!!!
Gaelforce
2,962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Drills to improve with opposite hand
Like I said to Mike there is no secret to left hand up other than doing it ….just cast left hand up and nothing else for two months 🤷🏻‍♂️

Reactions: eriefisher

· BULL DOG!!!!
Gaelforce
2,962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
I think it would be great to see a video of how you approach casting when (1) your ability to wade very far out is limited and (2) there is restricted space behind you for the D-loop (e.g., trees). That’s a situation that frequently leaves me flummoxed.
That’s all about anchor placement, want a smaller D loop keep your anchor further out front

Reactions: FishDr

· BULL DOG!!!!
Gaelforce
2,962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
I would be interested in the casting of bamboo rods - for a variety of fishing situations, not just distance- including the use of DT lines..
Thank you.
Boo bends more but casts the same just limit hand movement especially that top hand 😉

· BULL DOG!!!!
Gaelforce
2,962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
90 degree angle change on the single spey?

With a 70ft head of course.
Line follows the rod tip

but that being said it’s a total waste of time from a fishing standpoint 🤷🏻‍♂️

Reactions: sculpin swinger

· BULL DOG!!!!
Gaelforce
2,962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Anchor placement for lobbing double nymph rigs.....? 😁

But seriously you have shared a ton of videos & info on casting. A lot of people have shortened their learning curve because of your assistance.
Haha I wouldn’t be able to help with that one
I do thank you for the support 🤗
having knowledge and not sharing it is useless so happy it’s helped some

· Registered
682 Posts
Drills to improve with opposite hand
This is how I learned to cast with my weak hand on top while avoiding frustration: When we step into the top of a run to fish, we typically start real short, with just the tip/leader out, and work our line out a couple pulls at a time. Make it a habit to always use your weakest casts here, when starting short. Continue using the weak cast, adding line two pulls at a time and fishing the casts out, until you get enough line out that your casting starts to fall apart. At this point, without frustration, simply switch to your stronger cast and keep fishing. Keep doing this at each new run, and at some point your casting with your weak hand will become good enough that you never find the need to switch to your “stronger” cast. Go Cougs.

· BULL DOG!!!!
Gaelforce
2,962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
This is how I learned to cast with my weak hand on top while avoiding frustration: When we step into the top of a run to fish, we typically start real short, with just the tip/leader out, and work our line out a couple pulls at a time. Make it a habit to always use your weakest casts here, when starting short. Continue using the weak cast, adding line two pulls at a time and fishing the casts out, until you get enough line out that your casting starts to fall apart. At this point, without frustration, simply switch to your stronger cast and keep fishing. Keep doing this at each new run, and at some point your casting with your weak hand will become good enough that you never find the need to switch to your “stronger” cast. Go Cougs.
Sure NOW you tell me 😏
love it great advice Zack

Reactions: voodoofly

· Registered
1,124 Posts
Bob Clay posted some interesting and informative video advice using bamboo double handed rods specifically- both from the casting and the playing/ landing fish aspect, I was hoping there may be more 'tips' out there from the casting point of view.

Quote: 'Boo bends more but casts the same.'

I differ from the opinion that bamboo bends 'more', as it depends on the taper. It has more 'mass' than a hollow tube, making it less 'fast' thereby requiring a different, rather slower and deliberate casting style- which is its charm I suppose.

As an aside, in your video Bruce, while flexing the bamboo rod, it appears that there is 'hinging' at the join of the lower section, that coupled with the middle section in effect 'giving out' so to speak; I would venture that this may be responsible for your rod bending 'more', than it would otherwise.

Malcolm

· BULL DOG!!!!
Gaelforce
2,962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 · (Edited)
Bob Clay posted some interesting and informative video advice using bamboo double handed rods specifically- both from the casting and the playing/ landing fish aspect, I was hoping there may be more 'tips' out there from the casting point of view.

Quote: 'Boo bends more but casts the same.'

I differ from the opinion that bamboo bends 'more', as it depends on the taper. It has more 'mass' than a hollow tube, making it less 'fast' thereby requiring a different, rather slower and deliberate casting style- which is its charm I suppose.

As an aside, in your video Bruce, while flexing the bamboo rod, it appears that there is 'hinging' at the join of the lower section, that coupled with the middle section in effect 'giving out' so to speak; I would venture that this may be responsible for your rod bending 'more', than it would otherwise.

Malcolm
It’s called a semi parabolic taper you might have heard about it, here’s a better view casting it around the 32 second mark you can see the kick but you should already know that I would think 🤔
since your the boo guy maybe you should make some videos 🤷🏻‍♂️
careful big boy your mighty close to trolling 😉

21 - 40 of 45 Posts