Spey Pages banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
redneck hippie
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey fellas. Still working on basic feather wings. Goose feathers for the noob o'er here. Critiques are not only welcome, they are my sole reason for posting here. I went with skykomish sunrise colors on this one. Tied on an allen 1/0 Thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
784 Posts
Hey fellas. Still working on basic feather wings. Goose feathers for the noob o'er here. Critiques are not only welcome, they are my sole reason for posting here. I went with skykomish sunrise colors on this one. Tied on an allen 1/0 Thanks.
Looks good to me. With goose I generally use more fibers than with Turkey as the individual fibers are thinner. Look for something about the width of the hook gape

·
Matt Arciaga
835 Posts
Looks like it folded on you a little, try taking the slips in you fingers off the hook with a separate bobbin, soft loop into a pinch wrap and compress the slips with equal tension on the tag and the bobbin. Do a single whip and let it sit for a few compressed, I usually will do that before starting the body. Undo the whip and replay the pinch wrap on the hook now, this is is how I do all married wing flies, not sure if this is a technique that someone else has tried but I've had lots of luck with it. Goose and turkey married, it folded a little but turned out ok. O and don't forget to wax your thread!
Cheers

Matt

Attachments

·
The Dude abides
2,079 Posts
Looks like it folded on you a little, try taking the slips in you fingers off the hook with a separate bobbin, soft loop into a pinch wrap and compress the slips with equal tension on the tag and the bobbin. Do a single whip and let it sit for a few compressed, I usually will do that before starting the body. Undo the whip and replay the pinch wrap on the hook now, this is is how I do all married wing flies, not sure if this is a technique that someone else has tried but I've had lots of luck with it. Goose and turkey married, it folded a little but turned out ok. O and don't forget to wax your thread!
Cheers

Matt

so you are say you pre compress you married wing then mount it already compressed? interesting.

·
The Dude abides
2,079 Posts
leave yourself a bit more room at the head as well. then make sure as you end the body and tie off the throat you do each step one in front of the next instead of on top of one another if possible. then you have a flat platform over which the wing can lie and set nice and low. this is especially useful when tying in an underwing, as you want those to sit as low as possible.

·
redneck hippie
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cheers

Matt
It did fold a little. That is why it is posted 'backward'. The other side looks better, I wanted to show the fold. I was wondering if it was normal and would go un noticed. I didnt know about waxing your thread. Only for dubbing loops. You just wax before you do the soft loops? Also, I hate to sound nieve, but I don't know what you mean by 'slips'. Thanks for taking the time.

·
Matt Arciaga
835 Posts
Yup Matt, I compress it, off the hook, then release the thread and do it again, when you compress it in the pinch wrap the fibers have nowhere to go, but down, no fold, no slip, then when you go to mount it to the fly it just goes right down, minimal slip or fold.

·
redneck hippie
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
leave yourself a bit more room at the head as well. then make sure as you end the body and tie off the throat you do each step one in front of the next instead of on top of one another if possible. then you have a flat platform over which the wing can lie and set nice and low. this is especially useful when tying in an underwing, as you want those to sit as low as possible.
Thank you . Will do. You guys don't miss a thing!

·
Matt Arciaga
835 Posts
It did fold a little. That is why it is posted 'backward'. The other side looks better, I wanted to show the fold. I was wondering if it was normal and would go un noticed. I didnt know about waxing your thread. Only for dubbing loops. You just wax before you do the soft loops? Also, I hate to sound nieve, but I don't know what you mean by 'slips'. Thanks for taking the time.
I would refer to slip as your left wing or right wing, just slang really, and yes, wax will help, I don't know what it does, but it helped me for sure, it kinda just grabs the fibers and locks them down, I guess?

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Shoot me a msg with your a dress and I'll drop some good tying wax in the mail for you.... For me it's the opposite with a wing though, I wax everything else going in but with the wing I put water on it and my thread to act as a lube or else it pulls the top fibers to the far side like what happened to you. I know for me and I'm sure others I tried about every method I could find until I found the one that worked for me. If I get some time I'll try and describe how I do... Main thing is the DEATH GRIP!!! Keep posting, it will only make you better! Cheers
-josh

·
Matt Arciaga
835 Posts
Shoot me a msg with your a dress and I'll drop some good tying wax in the mail for you.... For me it's the opposite with a wing though, I wax everything else going in but with the wing I put water on it and my thread to act as a lube or else it pulls the top fibers to the far side like what happened to you. I know for me and I'm sure others I tried about every method I could find until I found the one that worked for me. If I get some time I'll try and describe how I do... Main thing is the DEATH GRIP!!! Keep posting, it will only make you better! Cheers
-josh
Yes death grip!!!!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts