Spey Pages banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a switch rod for trout fishing. I would like a rod that can dual as both a nymphing rod, but also swing streamers with, on med-large size rivers. Am I asking too much out of one switch rod, do I need two separate rods? Or can one rod do both well. Also, what size? I'm thinking either a 4 or 5 wt, potentially a Sage One.

Thanks!

·
Registered
225 Posts
I do all of that with a Scott T3H1064/4 and load with 240 grain scandi or 6 wt Rio trout. Very happy with this setup. As far as Skagit is concerned, I don't go there with this outfit.

I also have an old Sage 7100 RPL which throws the same Scandi line very nicely with single hand spey casting techniques. When fishing larger rivers for trout, both of these outfits are strung up in the raft.

·
Registered
745 Posts
I'm looking for a switch rod for trout fishing. I would like a rod that can dual as both a nymphing rod, but also swing streamers with, on med-large size rivers. Am I asking too much out of one switch rod, do I need two separate rods? Or can one rod do both well. Also, what size? I'm thinking either a 4 or 5 wt, potentially a Sage One.

Thanks!
Own the Sage One 5116-4 and I would recommend it over the 4116-4 to handle bigger fish. Might be a little bit too long to cast as a SH nymphing rod as it can get tiring after a while. Look for the ZAxis switches as they are just a tad shorter. Seen them on Fleabay for just under 4 bills. GL with the search!

·
Registered
678 Posts
I like the Beulah Classic Switch 10'6" 4/5 with a 240-270 grain scandi, or a ~210 grain 8 wt single hand line for overhead stuff. Versatile and fun little rod. Its benching my 6 weight single hander a lot.

For swinging, its tough to beat Anderson's ACR 11'7" in the smaller sizes. Mine is the 3 weight and it takes the same scandi heads as the Beulah.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts