Spey Pages banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello and HAPPY NEWYEAR to all.I got lucky and santa brought me a ROSS CANYON BG5 for christmas.Now i need to get my self a two handed rod this will be my first.Have been looking and asking alot of questions,so here i go again.This rod i want to buy will be used for steelhead and salmon of all sorts.I have been looking at and swaying towards a loop greenline LGL 9140-4 and would like to know if anybody owns one and how they like it.Also if any body thinks i should not buy this one let me know.I would like any input at all thanks alot.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Blair an excellent choice as an all-around-do anything rod. If you tend to prefer slower rods than the fairly quick green you may also want to check out the 9140 yellow. The extra tip for the green is a nice feature which helps justify the added expense of the green.
Brian

·
Registered
254 Posts
I have the greenline 8124 and it is a fast rod. I also have the yellowline in the 9140 a medium to fast rod. If you are just starting to Spey or have some experience, the yellowline is a beauty. If you have some time in on the Spey cast, you might want to look at the blueline. A very sweet rod, but I don't own one. I've opted for the CND line of rods now. If you can, try to hook up with Tyler or some one from this site with CND rods up there in your A.O. If I were to start over from the beginning, I would own every CND rod there is instead of a mix of Sage, Loop, Fly Logic and CND. Don't buy before you try.

Matt Burke

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am just starting to enter the world of spey.So should i be thinking about going with a medium action insted of a fast,being a rookie and all i dont know much about this.Another dilemma i face is what line to go with was thinking about Rio Windcutter 9/10/11 or Rio Midspey 9/10 would like some help on this matter as well, so feel free to give your input thanks alot. Blair

·
Junkyard Spey
7,112 Posts
I am just starting to enter the world of spey.
Howdy Blair,

While I am somewhat biased as a CND dealer, in light of the above you should take a serious look at the CND Expert 1409 lined with a Delta Long 9/10 or a MidSpey 9/10.
I would buy a floating line and after you get the casting mechanics under your belt a little if you want to get deeper add a couple of 10' poly sinking leaders. I know from personal experience that this outfit will serve you very well. Take care, MJC

·
Registered
134 Posts
Blair, I'm a semi-novice. I have a collection of
the MidSpeys and they work well for me. I have
one Windcutter. I use it on an 11.5' rod. It's ok
for that, but it didn't work well - for me - on a longer
rod. I ended up buying a MidSpey for that one. My
longest rod is 13.5', by the way.

·
#&%*@^# Caster
3,058 Posts
One thing not mentioned here is there is no way you will fit either of those lines on the BG5 with ample amount of backing. Spey lines eat up a ton of space. I can barely fit a midspey 7/8 on my BG7 with 200 yards 30lb backing. You will notice on the ross website for this reel you can only fit a 6/7/8 windcutter with 50 yards of backing. Not much capacity at all.

To get any amount of backing on that reel you will need to do the gelspun thing or upgrade the reel to a BG7 which is about minimum for the rod sizes you are looking at.

-sean

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Blair, knowledge first, then spend your money!

Blair,
Welcome to the world of "big guns." You are in for a bunch of fun!

The wrong way to start is to buy equipment and then try to learn.

To progress with minimum waste of dinero, book lessons from a professional spey instructor. All top pros have multiple rods and lines and with the instructor's knowledge and variety of equipment for you to try during your lessons, you have a better opportunity to make a good first rod purchase decision.

You are in BC and I recommend you contact Dana Sturn, BC, creator of "speypages.com" and arrange for lessons, FIRST. After your initial training, you will have a bit of knowledge and experience and can make an intelligent rod and line purchasing decision.

Regarding reels, Sean hit the nail on the head. The Ross Canyon 7 or another reel with a WF12Float Plus 300 yards of 30 pound Micron backing capacity is the starting point for spey line reel capacity in BC. Spey lines and 200 yards of 30# Micron backing recommended for steel take a bunch of reel space and the Canyon 5 is inadequate.

Trade the Canyon 5 for a 7, and arrange spey casting lessons before you buy the wrong rod.

You're going to have fun!
Bob

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Bob Pauli,said it right!

if you can get with someone with apile,it'll save you apile,overlineing the rod you choose will make wonder what the heck you invested in,these rods are a big spring to some degree or another,if you're allready scorching 90 ft casts with a single hander magic 100 ft plus casts like in the books by the steelhead GURUs,are miles away,double hauls are tough;very irritating ,the rod/line does the work,if they're dialed,,well,nirvana,,heck ,book a flight out to the Rogue,,i've a pile of rods you can whup around ,then we'll get in the Deville and go see MJC,,ive' been wanting to swing one of those customs myself,,yeah,,MJC,,when are you going to get the loaner rod program up?,,like the line program???:chuckle:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts