Spey Pages banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello gents,

I am in the process of building a 10' T&T switch and wish to purchase a click and pawl reel for it. dont like drags, its a personal preference thing. I am feeling that a No.1 Salmon marquis would suite this rod well but will consider any and all hardys in decent fishable conditions. Merry Xmas

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
hello gents,

I am in the process of building a 10' T&T switch and wish to purchase a click and pawl reel for it. dont like drags, its a personal preference thing. I am feeling that a No.1 Salmon marquis would suite this rod well but will consider any and all hardys in decent fishable conditions. Merry Xmas
What weight rod is this? Reason I ask, is line size.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I have a Hardy Zenith reel NIB never fished or even had backing on it with original blue Hardy case with extra spool in the same condition also with Hardy blue case. Purchased from Hardy's retail shop in London in 1969 and has been in my gear closet ever since. $550 including shipping to CONUS and PP fees.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
line size

The rod is rated for an 8 wt line in terms of single hand but thus far i have yet to throw any heads. I tried a 480 steelhead scandi on it but it was a little too much. feels like it will like something in the 350 - 425 grain range but will tune it and see. there is a shop that runs a spey line loaner program so i get to play with a bunch of lines

·
Registered
5,093 Posts
The rod is rated for an 8 wt line in terms of single hand but thus far i have yet to throw any heads. I tried a 480 steelhead scandi on it but it was a little too much. feels like it will like something in the 350 - 425 grain range but will tune it and see. there is a shop that runs a spey line loaner program so i get to play with a bunch of lines
A Zenith would fit nicely.

·
FISHIN' FREELANCER
1,425 Posts
If you reel right (line guard) a St George would be sweet.. a bit more scarce on the water. St John MK II will work either hand and a little lighter than a Salmon Marquis 1 yet still all kinds of line capacity. A Marquis 10 might be good fit dependent on rods weight and balance. Zenith and St Aiden good options as well.

Let us know what you land :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts