Spey Pages banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to complete a setup for a micro spey. trying to find a large arbour reel that is light. I am finding that when you get a fish on with the micro spey they run at you and it is really hard to keep up with a smaller reel. Let me know what you have kicking around. Preferably Canadian to save on shipping and the dollar.

Regards
Brayden

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Danielsson F3W 2Six Fly Reel *NIB*

On the big auction

·
FISHIN' FREELANCER
1,425 Posts
Believe for your application the Sz 3 (not 'W') would be better. Same diameter, approximate 4.25, but with a narrower drum. Lighter but still plenty capacity and identical retrieve ratio.

Sage 709 Danielsson built reel is a twin to Loop / Dani Sz 3

Best of luck..

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. I am looking for one of the original ones. I dig the funky look of it. It looks like you can buy them new from the factory but I thought I would check to see if anyone had one first. The micro spey is a hoot but hard to get line back on that tiny reel when they run at you.
Regards
Brayden

·
Registered
124 Posts
The new Originals are still a great deal direct from the factory. They don't charge VAT or customs fees and they ship quickly. I love mine.

Reactions: shotgunner

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have heard that. I will go that route if nothing else shakes loose here.

Regards
Brayden

·
Premium Member
3,612 Posts
The new Originals are still a great deal direct from the factory. They don't charge VAT or customs fees and they ship quickly. I love mine.
“The New Originals” was mentioned as one of the early, pre-Spinal Tap bands. :chuckle:

But seriously, on the outside chance this part isn’t already clear, those reels don’t have a drag per se, just a very light anti-overrun protection. I agree they are super cool if the idea of controlling everything with your hand appeals. I have a “dry fly” and I’m never getting rid of it.

Im with uncle Stu here - I think you will have a hard time finding even a well-used one of these that is cheaper than what they are offering online right now!

·
Anglish spoken here
561 Posts
“The New Originals” was mentioned as one of the early, pre-Spinal Tap bands. :chuckle:

But seriously, on the outside chance this part isn’t already clear, those reels don’t have a drag per se, just a very light anti-overrun protection. I agree they are super cool if the idea of controlling everything with your hand appeals. I have a “dry fly” and I’m never getting rid of it.

Im with uncle Stu here - I think you will have a hard time finding even a well-used one of these that is cheaper than what they are offering online right now!
Hello.. Please note that the original "Original" do not have anything like a drag, but the current have. Look at the reel from the winding side, there´s a nut in the middle of the centre triangle. You use that to preload the rollers, or to change drums. However, if you preload the rollers, don´t forget to reduce the pressure at the end of the day or the rollers will have a slightly flat spot, makes your retrieve go "ka-ka-ka-ka". Rookie signal... Yours borano20

·
Premium Member
3,612 Posts
Yes, that is exactly what I meant by NO drag. I have one of these reels - a recent model. The roller tension, while adjustable, is not meant to be used as main drag, and is of course the same is either direction. This will be very unsatisfactory to most people if they are expecting this to be a “drag setting”. However works lovely under light tension with your hand providing the real uni-directional pressure on the fish. Just know what you are actually signing up for in this case if you order one based on its cool looks alone. If this still isn’t super clear perhaps look for a video or something before you buy. I can’t say enough good about them, but they are not for everyone, and there have even been a few people posting here that complained about them not being what they expected. Probably people in Europe already know them well.

But I agree about not leaving them clamped down. Its even in the instructions -the rubber will get deformed over time. A very undesirable conversion into some kind of hell-spawned version of a clicker. :)

·
Too far away
124 Posts
I use the Danielsson Original exclusively on all my TroutSpey rods for year round fishing and the 3W for 12‘6/13‘ rods, up to 13‘7 in 8/9 and occasionally on 9/10.
But the 3W is way too much for any of the TroutSpey rods, at least mine. And I use uplocking reel seats only, because of rod balance.
Take a look at the 2W version.
I never had problems with lack of speed with trouts on. I also use the 2W for salmon and seatrout fishing. It happens occasionally with a fresh run seatrout or salmon, to be in need for lifting the rod high up and back or stepping back while reeling in as fast as possible. If so with trouts, I would prefer to do the same or take line in with a fast grip to the line here or then to keep in contact and have a balanced outfit for the most trouts and weeks between.

It’s right what already has been said here - it’s no drag/break, just resistance to avoid overrun. Palming is necessary (...the joy...).
The Danielsson Original offers the same resistance forwards as backwards. If one hates a reel with a spool turning in line cast for cast, he will love this concept and the Precision ! Not that unimportant, especially in presentation orientated approaches and TroutSpey.

As said by others, I wouldn’t look around. Just make an order. There is no better offer in relation of price and quality and the best after sales service I know for decades.

·
Premium Member
3,612 Posts
Zencaster, I suppose it depends on what you are comparing things to, but there are large arbors and super large arbors like the danielssons. Most modern inexpensive fly reels fall into the former category. Usually if uptake speed is the main issue these are great solutions. But I know the feeling you are talking about. I have a Hardy LRH from the lightweight series (next size down from a Princess). It is a nice reel on my SH 5wt. Unfortunately not only uptake speed but the tendency for the line to get pretty curly before stretching can be a real bummer at times.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I hear you Botsari. The rod that I am thinking fo this for I have the smallest Hardy Cascapeida on it. You have to wind like crazy to get it in fast. I love the reel but it is useless for the situation I am fishing. Nothing wrong with adding another reel to the collection.

Regards
Brayden

·
FISHIN' FREELANCER
1,425 Posts
Thanks guys. I am looking for one of the original ones. I dig the funky look of it.
Regards
Brayden
As far as I know 'Sage' was first to offer these unique reels in North America. The "Originals" came in Sage 705 (Loop / Danielsson 1.5) Sage 707 (Loop / Danielsson 2) Sage 709 (Loop / Danielsson 3) and Sage 711 (Loop / Danielsson 4) All identical and interchangeable regardless of name.

The "W" (yes, "wide") versions came along later.. after Loop took over the sales of these fine built reels.

I only mention because still feel strongly that the Sage 709 or Loop 3 would be a better choice than a 3W ..Provided one could be found. Same diameter as 3W but with narrower spool. They do turn up yet, more often than a guy might think.

As for other options, the Loop "Speed Runner" (NOT Danielsson built) comes to mind. Super large diameter ..but quite narrow spool. These are a drag reel rather than only the friction adjust. Smolt had one on a Loop Blue line 7116 and landed quite a few nice bright ones on it. They are quite physically light, put's one in mind of a modern road racing bicycle wheel and tire.. tall and narrow.

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
In US, Sage may have been first, but Loop was available and promoted for Bonefish and Steelhead in the 90s (I found Loop first). These tSage variants are not compatible with Danielsson-Loop, as the small differences in the spool prevents cross-over. (I learnt the hard way).

I started with Loop 3W in the mid to late 1990s after I was schooled by some steelhead on retrieve speed. I like the tension knob is on the same side as the handle (or no weird a$%! hand flipping to adjust), and I really like the ability to palm the reel.

I still have and use that same 3W on my Scott ARC 10' 7wt and also use the 2W for trout-small river conditions.

I no longer use the "original" Danielsson on Bonefish - Nautilus NV-G or a Danielsson drag reel.

On ACR 1173 has a Hardy St Aiden, but if I am bank casting SH Spey you will see the Scott ARC 7wt with the Loop 3W.

Danielsson is a first class act.

·
Too far away
124 Posts
In US, Sage may have been first, but Loop was available and promoted for Bonefish and Steelhead in the 90s (I found Loop first). These tSage variants are not compatible with Danielsson-Loop, as the small differences in the spool prevents cross-over. (I learnt the hard way).

I started with Loop 3W in the mid to late 1990s after I was schooled by some steelhead on retrieve speed. I like the tension knob is on the same side as the handle (or no weird a$%! hand flipping to adjust), and I really like the ability to palm the reel.

I still have and use that same 3W on my Scott ARC 10' 7wt and also use the 2W for trout-small river conditions.

I no longer use the "original" Danielsson on Bonefish - Nautilus NV-G or a Danielsson drag reel.

On ACR 1173 has a Hardy St Aiden, but if I am bank casting SH Spey you will see the Scott ARC 7wt with the Loop 3W.

Same here.
I have my first Danielsson Original reels since the early 90’s, when there was Loop written on it. This was the time when we had to pay at least double price for those reels...
Still have a Loop 3W and two of the Loop 2 (narrow reel, but same diameter as the 2W). The 2 is no longer made and I still use them for TroutSpey rods, also the 2W.
The very first Loop, made of Danielsson had screws to change tension. No possibility to change resistance while fishing (at least without a screw driver).

The new style Danielsson Original are made with a smaller frame, more holes in all parts and are even less in weight. The 2W is around the same weight as the older Loop 2).

I did never use my Originals for saltwater fishing, because of its open ball bearings. But all of my Originals are heavily used.
New plastic runners after 20 years and they are smooth again as new. Just send a letter to Thomas Danielsson. First class service for centuries.

Because of the annoying hand flipping to adjust tension you talk about, I also have to agree.
Additional to the said in my first post this is another reason I don’t use anything else than Danielsson Original and Control reels. The technical benefits, the thoughts behind it and the quality is simply unsurpassed in this price category.

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
Wetwader,

Yes, the service from Danielsson has been great. A few years ago, I bought an additional spool (might be for the 2W or 3W, forget which). Sent Danielsson some pictures, and they confirm I would have no issue with a new spool for the 90's purchased reels. I think last year, I did replace one roller, but this would be after 20 years of service.

I have thought about adding an original Midge for my short fiberglass 3wt,

David

ps .. I have LW, HD and original, but I thought of control to eliminate the hand flipping adjust in the salt. I was not to sure I was up to adjust to their mechanism, as when in a fight, you need to change without thinking.

·
Too far away
124 Posts
Wetwader,

Yes, the service from Danielsson has been great. A few years ago, I bout an additional spool (might be for the 2W or 3W, forget which). Sent Danielsson some pictures, and they confirm I would have no issue with a new spool for the 90's purchased reels. I think last year, I did replace one roller, but this would be after 20 years of service.

I have thought about adding an original Midge for my short fiberglass 3wt,

David

ps .. I have LW, HD and original, but I thought of control to eliminate the hand flipping adjust in the salt. I was not to sure I was up to adjust to their mechanism, as when in a fight, you need to change without thinking.
Hi David,
I can highly recommend a Control. I use the Control 7twelve and 8thirteen for salmon fishing (Atlantics) and hucho hucho in my home rivers.
They are absolutely intuitive in handling and in fighting big/fast fishes. The antireverse system is technically the best to get and genius in function. And the drag/break knob is on the handle side...
Really everything in control. Full concentration for the fish on.

My Midge and Nymph get the least use out of my Originals after my transformation to a 99% Doublehander many years ago.
But if coming into a hatch while swinging, I take out the 6piece SH rod in my backpack with an Original Dryfly on... In the middle of a hatch, there are fish coming up surprisingly near by - after one covered refusing fish further out. Very different line management, compared to swinging.
Mostly (at least for my fishing) a lot of line is off the reel in such situations and after a hook up a fast retrieve of the excessive line with the bigger Dryfly is a benefit.

Sorry for coming off topic a little bit. It‘s still about Danielsson reels...0:)

·
FISHIN' FREELANCER
1,425 Posts
Zencaster, apologies for the off topic banter. On the positive side it's keeping your listing bumped to the top :)

As a two plus decades fan of the Danielsson built 'Traditional' series reels I've learned a few things and feel they should be put out there for other potential owner / users that may have questions. Any mistake or misinformation on my part begs correction. I believe in true accurate information.. anything else is worse than useless.

In US, Sage may have been first, but Loop was available and promoted for Bonefish and Steelhead in the 90s (I found Loop first). These Sage variants are not compatible with Danielsson-Loop, as the small differences in the spool prevents cross-over. (I learnt the hard way).

raspberry-patch, good to hear from you.. always enjoy your postings.

As to the cross-over of Sage versions fitting Loop frames correctly, that would be yes ..and no. It is an important point that should be made, thanks for bringing it up. It seems prudent to do so here now.

The early production runs definitely do interchange (between Sage and Loop badged Danielssons) I've never had any issue with Sage spools (sporting twin crank handles) 705 - 707 - 709 fitting my Loop straight line script badged 1.5 - 2 - 3 frames, or vice versa (have never had a Sage 711) However, the later Loop and Danielsson logoed frames have subtle difference with an increase of the exposed spool rim depth. The early production Sage and Loop straight line script spools DO NOT interchange with latter production curved script frames. Later production spools will fit the early frames though. I was first made aware of this by Dave Pinczkowski at a mid 2000 era Spey Clave on the Muskeegon River. Have been hoping maybe Jim Williams (JR Spey and Just Reels.com) could weigh in here as well as he was a Loop dealer into the 2000's and very familiar with this topic.

Pictures to follow.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
This is great info on the reel. Thanks everyone. I will be ordering one soon.

Regards
Brayden

1 - 20 of 29 Posts