Spey Pages banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a bit of a sneaky post in that I will destroy it in about 6 hrs to avoid my buddy who is on here seeing it after he gets off work!

I want to buy him a classy and classic, spey rod/reel storage, travel bag as a present. Any brands or manufacturers you know of please PM me!!

Cheers

·
Premium Member
3,389 Posts
I think it strongly depends on the function it is required to fill. If you want retro classy there is a waxed canvas bag (large size, like the one I sold on here a few weeks back) that LLBean of all places sells. lLBean Maine Waxed Canvas Bag, larger, $108. This is "soft" and not for storing as luggage in the cargo hold, or being tossed about by a gorilla as in the old Samsonite commercials. But fine for car and trunk use, or slung over your shoulder while smoking a cigar and swigging scotch. Tweed friendly.

For organization and a bit more hardiness, probably ok for cargo hold luggage, Fishpond make a great case. The large size fits 3+ 4-piece spey rods to a bit more than 13'6" and reels...and everything.

For sheer protection nothing beats a custom Harding and Sons tube - economical. Choose your color, lenght, diameter, features. As Gorilla friendly as you are going to get. Takes about 2 weeks to get delivery. Pictured below is one with a 6" diameter that holds 6+ spey rods to 15+ feet - my "Skeena tube". :) Just a few ideas. I'm sure you will get more good ones. The Fishpond sound more like what you may want since you mention reels.

Attachments

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you Bots... can you fit two rods in tubes in the LLBean? For the gorilla style manhandling haha

·
Relapsed Speyaholic
5,366 Posts
A second on the Harding and Sons. I have four of them currently. One for each rod I fish regularly. The reel stays on the rod. When I come back from a day on the river, I open the case up, pull the neoprene cover off the reel and stick it in the closet to dry. When I'm ready to go again, I throw the reel case in, zip it up and I'm out the door.

Great protection for both rod and reel. I have never tried to check it on flights but I suppose you could. For flights I use a rod only multi-tube and carry on my reels.

On the off chance you need one for a 13' - 3 piece rod (or rod with comparable section length) I have one available in maroon color.

·
Premium Member
3,389 Posts
Thank you Bots... can you fit two rods in tubes in the LLBean? For the gorilla style manhandling haha
Yes the llbean would be OK with 2 tubes, and in that case it would be Gorilla-proof too, just not too efficient packing. In fact there are elastic loops on the inside for holding tubes - just check out the details online.

The other two I listed are typically used without the tubes.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
320 Posts
Harding also makes travel bags that will hold many rod tubes and additional, tackle. I'm mobile right now, so I don't have a picture for you. Check their site.

Not Old School, but very well made and thought out.

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
There is some leather bound rod tubes out there, leather is very classy!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts