Spey Pages banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A long time ago I read a book and I can't remember the name of it. I am hoping some fellow speypagers can help. It may have been a collection of short stories. The story was about a guy who went fishing for Atlantic salmon in Europe somewhere and discovered this place had monster sea-run browns. The ghille said to him we have tigers here and you play with mice. I know it's a shot in the dark, but I would love to read that story again.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Schweibert

The line is from a Schweibert short story. I can't remember that name of the story. The character that utters the line quoted is a russian aristocrat and the river is in Norway. Begins with a A, I think. Maybe the Aa.....Not sure. Been a while since I read that. Place is supposed to have the worlds biggest salmon and Ernie was wasting his time catching sea trout. That's what the refers to. I can look it up tonight.

·
Neboshone
6 Posts
The chapter is titled "The Platforms of Despair", a short story from "Death of a Riverkeeper". One of Schwiebert's best written books.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
I believe the reference is to the Alta River, which had a reputation at one time for producing perhaps the biggest Atlantic salmon. In particular, the Alta's Malingfoss (spelling suspect) Pool was supposedly the stuff of legends.

·
Registered
804 Posts
hey blue moon
I got curious and went to amazon ,
they have it in hard and paper, for as little as
$ 11.82
thx I just bought a copy
15.00 shipped ,used but in great condition
cheers
m:De

1 - 8 of 8 Posts