Spey Pages banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
850 Posts
Hope you find one bud! I had one awhile back I sold and should have held on to it... But you know me I can't keep anything for a entire season lol

·
Anglish spoken here
561 Posts
Hello.. I always get a bit intrigued by this sort of stuff.. Worn out pawls??.. Right,Keith,next time you go fishing,just call me a few days before... I´ll easily jump the Pond to join you.. Buy you beer,food,be your very best friend... Bring those canned anchovies from here,pal.. Very best regards. Yours borano20

·
Registered
290 Posts
Get over to the classic fly rod forum and look up a guy with the handle Bulldog.

I think what you can do is find a pawl from another make with similar thickness and modify to suit, Bulldog will have ideas, probably can be ground or filed no problem.

For example I have a diawa reel I couldn't find pawls for, I got some Bougle pawls and they were close and the reel is much better with the replacements.

-John

·
inglorious 2hander
1,048 Posts
Had sum emd wire cut off of an original pawl from a 1540..
my neighbor has since retired from the tool n die trade. So what I have left is it!

Sold sum on here couple yrs ago, only have a spare pair left so I am keeping them.

Just a heads up on where to start looking..
Once a EMD machine is setup to cut the pawls out of stock-they can run a hundred in an hour or so.

Maybe sumpin for a tool n die kind of guy to think about--always seems to be a calling for pawls for jdubs n hardys.

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey John,

I contacted Bulldog. I've picked one up from him before. He's out of them for the time being. Said to get back to him in 5 weeks or so.

Thanks for the help guys!

Keith

·
Registered
172 Posts
Why not slightly modify your worn out one? Take a round file and make the slot a little deeper to move the pawl closer to the gear. Then you can use a flat file and fix the tip of the pawl?
Just an idea for a quick fix till you find some new pawls.

·
inglorious 2hander
1,048 Posts
You might try here. I've got several Hardy springs and drag knobs from him. Very reasonable. I believe the Hardy and Young pawls are the same. He's in Nova Scotia, Canada.

Good luck

[email protected]

The ones that I have compared R close--but no cigar so to speak....hardys are usually thicker N of a different lenght....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts