Spey Pages banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
895 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The incredible talent on this forum always serves to inspire, create, and push oneself to the next level. I am so very grateful to be a part of this all!

The in-hand tying of some of our masters has always intrigued me. How Adrian, Tim, Jin, and of course, Mike, (sorry if I left anyone out) create their beauties with out a vice is a show of great skill. Recently, another great tier, Vic, delved into their realm with outstanding results! How could I not give it a go!?!

A bit more inspiration has been coming from Matt, with his crest wing ties lately. Seriously, some of the best work I've seen from anywhere! Never tried that wing style, but with seeing his ties, again, how could I not try?

So... with that, I give you a first on both counts. First in hand attempt, and a first with a crest wing. Might as well combine all the torture into one session!

A question for you in-hand tiers: When do the thumb cramps subside?:hihi:

Thanks to all who make this a wonderful place to be,

-Bill

·
Administrator
18,154 Posts
BILL !!!! :whoa::whoa:
Awesome work buddy !! Congratulations on your first in hand tie , much better than my first attempt that's for sure .
And a CRACKER it is too ... nice work !!

Thumb cramps ?? What thumb cramps ?? You're getting thumb cramps ??

:chuckle::chuckle: They will go away after you tie up a hundred or so ..... kidding :hihi:

Mike

·
Registered
2,706 Posts
With Your Talent

Surprises me not Bill

Great work

·
Registered
771 Posts
Bill,
Great job! Now that you have survived the New England New Years 'Polar Plunge' into the icy Atlantic Ocean, I hope you will continue to show us more patterns. I want to thank you for taking your time to share your tying results with us.

Doug

T

·
0 Posts
in hand

Nice Job!
You look at that and see a more balanced and natural look.

cramps go away after you figure out a death grip is not necessary.

keep at it.

·
Registered
997 Posts
Right on Bill!

Great looking bug too!

J.

·
Registered
895 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you all for the kindness!

Tim, once I realized that the death grip was not needed, it all went a bit smoother. I was originally squeezing so hard as to leave the hook imprint in my fingers!!!

The thumb is feeling much better!:hihi:

Thanks again,

-Bill

·
Registered
5,098 Posts
Such a lovely composition and how 'bout those big first-steps forward...

Can't go wrong with (what looks like) olive-n-gold. The reddish collar and subtle flash playing off of the red-tips and natural glow of the crest are very well done here, if you ask me.

Thank you Bill for sharing and the mentioning. How could I not respond?
Vic.

·
Matt Arciaga
835 Posts
!!!!!!!

Nice one buddy, I don't think id ever try a crest wing in hand, you crazy! That being said, this is nice, portions especially, about the cramps, dont forget to take breaks, and don't be afraid to squash some of the materials when holding it, if you need a break put a half hitch in and run the thread forward, set it down, also I'd get with Dingle, Jin and Dingle, those three are the best at this, I don't know how they do it. Also if you squash the materials use some water and a nice blow dryer or steam to straighten things up, or just swim the thing. Also thanks for the shot out homie!

·
Registered
895 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thank you again, my friends!

This was actually quite an enjoyable experience, thumb cramps and all!!

It was not easy, but it was definitely not as difficult as I thought it would be. Once I got started, I realized tactics would have to change from what I've been come accustomed to in a vise. A lot of fumbling, hand switching, cursing, a few extra beers that I really didn't need!! Well, that's kind of how it goes at the vise sometimes as well!! Not as different as I thought!!!:chuckle:

Vic, your ties are always inspiring. Your in-hand post tie really made me want to try it. Thank you for your comments on this fly. Much appreciated!!

Matt, I don't think I'll ever try a crest wing again, in hand or vise! You are the crest wing king!!!

Thanks again gents,

-Bill

·
Matt Arciaga
835 Posts
Lol thanks Bill, once you do like 20 of them it gets easier! Really the trick, prep work and good material's. Bought some from AO that were tops! Just needed a soak.in hot water and a good blow drying to get them perfect

·
Registered
3,223 Posts
Thank you again, my friends!

This was actually quite an enjoyable experience, thumb cramps and all!!

-Bill
That says it all right there, Bill! As long as you enjoy it. Your little crest wing is really spectacular for your first fly in hand. I swear I would be happy in tying and fishing that fly. Like I mentioned in a previous post, the cramps go away as soon as the arthritis sets in:D In all seriousness, like Tim posted, a death grip isnt necessary but it looks like you already found that out. Looking forward to more ties from you, sir.

Adrian

·
Registered
895 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for the kind words, Adrian.

I got lucky on this one. It all seemed to come together somehow!

-Bill

1 - 17 of 17 Posts