Spey Pages banner

longlines vs shooting heads

9K views 55 replies 14 participants last post by  L A Smithers 
Line Control

Dana, I took your course on the Fraser River last march and wanted to learn to cast the long line. I had always heard one could not control the fly as good with the shorter heads. I did learn to cast the S.A. 8/9 line and the accellerator line in good conditions with no wind. In actual fishing conditions I found I always went back to the wind cutter. Now I am also using the new Air Flow line which handle very well. It seems weather I fish the Deschutes, Snake, Grande Rhonde, or Thompson there is wind. May be my skill level is not good but the shorter heads will cast into the wind so I end up putting the long heads back in my vest. As far as line control with heads I say whats the problem? With the win cutter and air flow line I feel I have good line control. The running line will lift another 20 to 35 feet of the running line to get the desired drift of the fly. Jerry

Good discussion

Danna, This is the most interesting and thought provoking discussion I have ever read on these pages. I enjoy the wealth of knowledge from all over the great Spey areas of the world. Each of us has a bit of knowledge from our own little nooks and crannys. This knowledge along with our personal prejudices can help open our minds to others views. This knowledge from all the great Steelhead fly fisherman from the past along with our much inproved tecnology of lines and rods keeps elevating the skills of all of us. It would be nice if RHB and other greats could see what they started. With this knowledge we fly fisherman can sometime hook as many fish as our gear fishing friends. In the right conditions we can ever hook more fish. Thank you Jerry

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.