Spey Pages banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Distance casting....

At a casting tournament in Chicago last year, Steve Rajeff belted out a cast of 268 feet with a 2-hander, and 197 feet with a 1 hander "despite unfavorable wind conditions". (The rod lengths and line weights are not specified, but I believe they use a somewhat standardized shooting head not more than 31 feet, and no more than 10-weight head.) Remember, these rods, lines and reels are for distance casting.

I don't think this is the "official record", however.

BobK

·
chrome-magnon man
5,375 Posts
ACA

Details on distance games and tackle used can be seen on the American Casting Association website.

Keep in mind that the 2-hand distance record that Steve Rajeff holds is overhead casting. Last summer Steve Choate Spey cast 50 yards to win the Musto competition in the UK. I know that Steve Choate and others in non-competition conditions have cast farther than that as well. In 1895 Alexander Grant switch cast 65 yards in a competition in Scotland--no line was shot. Grant lifted and Spey cast the entire length of line. The closest we've come to matching Grant is Derek Brown's 62 yard cast in June 1996--again, without shooting line. To my knowledge to this day Grant's record stands.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Steve Rajeff...

... cast 296 feet in the ACA National Championships in Toronto in 1998, if I remember right. That distance was measured AFTER the line and fly stopped sliding downhill! This is the current ACA record. Rene` Gillibert tied Steve's Angler's Fly Distance (10wt rod/300gr. head) record at 190 feet this last August in Chicago.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts