Spey Pages banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have experience with a long-belly line on the 9149? I'd be interested in what you've found and why you like it (or not). I am currently cutting and pasting toward an 85-95 ft. possibility and also trying to avoid reinventing a wheel. Long bellies= hocus pocus land, subject to owner preferences, quirks, and in my instance, a fair amount of confusion, not to mention a common desire to avoid contributing to my closet of non-starters. Any light in the tunnel would be welcome--including home rolls as well as out of the box lines. Thanks.
Jerry

·
Registered
203 Posts
Cnd Gps 9/10

This line rocks on the Burkie 9149. I think the head's only 80' or so, but the best over-the-counter line I've found for that rod.

my .02,

DS

·
BULL DOG!!!!
Gaelforce
2,194 Posts
The old xlt 8/9 was a rocket on that rod! Best when picked at 105ft at hand.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Both lines mentioned above are excellant! I will add another to the list with the Nextcast 8/9 95ft, I only wish it was 150' long rather than 130'. One could always weld or splice in a extra 20 or 30'.

·
loco alto!
3,109 Posts
how do they differ

they have a different casting/fishing feel, especially the old long SA XLT. It is the longest of the bunch and has a very fine front taper. More line can be picked up with it, but on the flipside, it carries less punch into the cast. The XLT 8/9 and 9149 is a great match, for sure. However, I am way more consistent picking up 85-90' while fishing, and at that range, the Nextcast and CND lines concentrate power more easily.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, helpful comments all---

---especially concerning holding points, customizing packaged lines, and fishability considerations. Nothing beats hearing about others' discoveries. Steve's comment re a consistent pick up is well taken. The larger of the rivers I fish call for a cast and swing approach and dialing in consistency is a key to efficiently covering the water, reducing fatigue, and just plain fishing enjoyment. I am an old Sage 8150 fan and am looking to stretch out with a bit more power in the butt section with the B 9149. Not dissatisfied, just curious. I realize that longer ain't always better, just frequently tempting and ocassionally useful as well. The sense of feel in casting (fishing?) is certainly part of the equation. It is why I found the old, no longer available Airflo Traditional so appealing and why it sticks to my fingers despite being able to cast other lines farther. The thing just flew. Some lines maintain loft while others pull line off the reel at the end of a long cast while the belly has been unpleasantly losing altitude all the while. Distance is nice, but at what price? Anyway, the process of discovery is part of the fun and sometimes change leads to new learning. Thanks for helping.
--Jerry

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
One more into the mix.

I'll add one other line to the list: the Carron 10/11. I never thought I'd replace my XLT's ... until I had a chance to string some of their spey lines. All I can say is WOW!
Fred

1 - 7 of 7 Posts