Spey Pages banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
chrome-magnon man
5,375 Posts
it depends...

...on your intended application. One of the chief advantages of two-handers is line control. If you are fishing big water you might like the longer reach afforded by a longer rod, but even on such water there are good close in spots. Keep in mind that at 11'3" this rod still gives you more command of the water than your average single hander.

·
speypages brother.
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I plan to us it for smaller rivers, summer stealhead, and salmon.probably around the lowermainland and up north.I have gear for the big water.what would be a good line choice ?:confused: :confused: :confused:

·
chrome-magnon man
5,375 Posts
I haven't cast this rod so I'm wondering if it is a "real" spey rod (designed for the heavier spey lines) or a long single hander designed to handle standard or long belly lines commonly used on single hand rods (this is the case I believe with the GLoomis 11ft 6in). If you have an 8 weight line around for your single handers, I'd try that first and see how it handles, unless someone else on the board here can confirm that say a Windcutter 6/7/8 or 7/8/9 might be a better option...

·
Pullin' Thread
4,694 Posts
Dana,

I've cast this rod because a friend who lives in Port Angeles has it, he doesn't like 2-handers - claims they are too big and heavy (go figure). Also, he uses nothing by shooting heads for all his fishing simply because that is what he started to use 40 years ago as a teenager and see no reason to change. This rod in a single-hand rod and works well with any of the 8 weight single-hand lines. Your assumption on it was correct, it is not a "spey rod" although it does a single-hand spey cast very well.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
jimandre re shorter two handed rods

Besides my two l Sage Euro Spey rods, I recently bought two of Bob Meiser's two handed rods, his 7/8 and his 9/10. Bob is one of our sponsors. The rods are 10'6" and are 3 piece rods.

The 7/8 is an old man's dream rod. It works with the WC 6/7/8 without tip two. However, it works great with every 8 weight line I owned. My favorite is the Orvis floating slick Steelhead. It works great with the Teeny lines that are recommended for an 8 weight.

Two weeks ago I used Bob's 9/10 fishing for Stripers in the California Delta on my son's boat. As usual there was wind and my Rio Versi Tip 10 was not getting out into the wind. I put Jim Teeny's 300 sinking tip on.

I started stripping and casting and stripping more line to cast. I knew that I was getting out a good distance. My son the critical one of my previous lame casting with a one handed rod said, "Dad, you might want to back in a couple of turns of line on your reel. You are just past your knot on your backing. If a big striper hits, that will be a lot of strain on that knot!"

I backed off and those casts from a lame old Grampa were going out into the wind, 82 feet from my reel to the end of the line. With a 4' tippet, I was putting the Teeny 300 and a heavy Striper fly out into a wind 86'. I only had one wind knot in about 5 hours of casting.

Call Bob up or send him an email re the rivers and critters you want to fish. He will fit you up with a great rod.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts