Spey Pages banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok so I’m a self confessed sage fanboy but I think it’s time for a change. Love my z-axis compared to the contemporary rods. I keep hearing that burkheimers have a better bend even into the cork. Looking for a 7wt 13+ feet. What model of burkie does everyone recommend for me? I wish I could get my hands on one to ad least wiggle test but not many vendors in southwestern Ontario. Cheers.

·
Broken Down Spey Freak
2,390 Posts
I don't have much experience with Sage rods but with a bit more line weight and prominent use of the lower hand you should be able to bend that rod into the cork. I do find Sage rods a bit fast and stiff for me and I've never cast a Burkie. There are many rods that will easily bend to the cork, Meiser is on the top of my list along with B&W. You can feel it in the handle but you must use the bottom hand to get there. These are just a few that I'm familiar with. There are many more.

·
18 foot spey rod DV8
594 Posts
ok so I’m a self confessed sage fanboy but I think it’s time for a change. Love my z-axis compared to the contemporary rods. I keep hearing that burkheimers have a better bend even into the cork. Looking for a 7wt 13+ feet. What model of burkie does everyone recommend for me? I wish I could get my hands on one to ad least wiggle test but not many vendors in southwestern Ontario. Cheers.
Well, ...a long deep bending rod is like a tall ambidextrous girlfriend, a pleasure to hold and admire the beauty of her rhythm.
I would suggest a parabolic Burkie or a Meiser to experience their casting charm but as you’re a Sage guy, I would recommend the vintage European action 16 foot Sage IV which is a classic spey rod among traditionalists. I have a number of UK made 16 footers by B & W, Clan, MacKenzie, and others, but this Sage is one of my favourites.
Regards from the Restigouche....Jim

·
loco alto!
3,100 Posts
ok so I’m a self confessed sage fanboy but I think it’s time for a change. Love my z-axis compared to the contemporary rods. I keep hearing that burkheimers have a better bend even into the cork. Looking for a 7wt 13+ feet. What model of burkie does everyone recommend for me?
Burkheimers ... the 7133-3 and 7134-4 both flex deep and have great feel in the hands without being mushy. Lots written on speypages comparing these two rods

The 7133-3 taper flexes deep into the butt, the whole rod works in a deep bend, full-flexing and firm, clean recovery.

The 7134-4 taper is slightly more progressive (lighter tip and stronger butt) and takes 20-30 fewer grains to load. Don’t take the “stronger butt” comment too seriously, this rod flexes deep, similar in the bottom 1/3 to the 7136-Z and more refined (crisper) in the top 2/3. It has great feel in the hands, far from a fast broomstick.

Most people go for the 7134 and I think it is their best seller, but those who really seek a more traditional through-action taper like some UK rods usually prefer the 7133.

There is also a 7139-4, a slightly longer, slightly more progressive, slightly less powerful (more dryline/lightline) version of the 7134-4.

If your frame of reference is the Sage Z-axis 7136 (which I find pretty limber in the top 2/3, then stiffens in the bottom 1/3), then you'll appreciate the feel into the hands of the Burkheimers.

·
Premium Member
3,894 Posts
I’m not one of the people on here that have tried them all, but the Burkie 7141 is my personal paradigm of a soulful Burkheimer. I know a lot of people feel the same. Someone described it on here recently as the most sensuous rod he ever cast - or maybe it was “that was ever made”. Still, it could be a bridge too far for some. I tried a friend’s 8141 and it seems to have been made in a similar mould. You would have to ask for that one specifically as the 8142 is supposed to be faster. I think the “average” burkie is a bit faster than those two, but possibly most of them might still fit the bill. But if you want to jump in with both feet then, as several people have already recommended, any Meiser MKX is a guaranteed ticket on the soul train!

Oh, and don’t believe any of Bruce’s pictures - he has also posted pics with him getting the same bend out of competition rods! I think that it might be one of those above. So an unreliable gauge of action - verging on punked territory - for the rest of us. :)

·
BULL DOG!!!!
Gaelforce
2,131 Posts
I suggest you read Fine and Far off and get the genius rod designer and line designer and caster views on ferrules vs splices straight from Alexander Grant

·
Registered
255 Posts
I recently acquired an 8139-3 Burkie and absolutely love the feel of this rod compared to most everything else I own. I have the 7136-4 Z Axis and I do love it but it doesn't have as much flex into the cork as the Burkie. I also have on older 7136-4 Graphite III Sage Brownie that is deep loading and soulful but more of a 6 than a 7 really - or like a light 7. As well I have an older 1307-3 T&T and it's faster than the Burkie but still loads up nicely. My old 80s Sage 9140-3 GFL also loads deep but none of them have the feel of the 8139-3 Burkie. It's a very special rod IMHO 😜.

·
Registered
832 Posts
I suggest you read Fine and Far off and get the genius rod designer and line designer and caster views on ferrules vs splices straight from Alexander Grant
'Fine & Far off' was written by one Douglas George Ferris Rudd (aka Jock Scott) 1897 - 1983. Along with being a competent fly fisher for both salmon and trout, he enjoyed spinning with artificial baits (presumably using ferruled rods) and championed the use of single handed bait casting rods in the UK, teaming up with Hardy's- with a bait casting rod (short rod section ferruled to the handle) and reel bearing the Jock Scott name. It seems that his 'real job' after the war, was as a tax consultant for the Inland Revenue.
As I have attempted to describe in previous posts, to this maker, various methods of attaching rod sections together, all have value.
Malcolm

Picture shows my relatively uncommon and diminutive, Hardy Jock Scott reel with it's line winder from around end of their production in 1952.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 32 Posts