Spey Pages banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any preferences in using Rio MS vs. Delta Long.
Which line has smoother turnover as a floating line and which one is better when used with sink tips?

I have experience only with Rio lines.

·
The Frugal Flyfisher
107 Posts
Changes

Well, Bolen

There have been a few changes in the two years since the thread SSpey referred you to.

In the Airflo Delta Long line, at least, the only thing that remains is the original powerful turnover taper designed by Tim Rajeff and Dec Hogan. The running line is now much thinner, with a more supple cold weather coating with extra added Teflon for even better shootability. The line core is now an ultra low stretch, extra supple, low memory braided core with only 6% stretch (most lines have 20% or more stretch). All the head weights have been lightened slightly to conform to the upper end of the new AFFTA Spey Line standards. It is also now a two-tone line, with a high visibility bright yellow belly and very light yellow, almost white running line.

It not only looks different but handles differently than the old white line of two years ago. It still casts easily with tight loops that turn over powerfully, but it shoots better for easier, greater distance and is much more supple in the cold waters of late fall, winter and spring steelheading. It will carry the power of the cast into a longer and/or heavier leader than the Rio Mid-Spey, and will handle heavier flies and much stronger winds than the Mid-Spey, in my experience. You can get more detailed info at www.rajeffsports.com (a Spey Pages sponsor). Speyrd (Leroy Teeple) here at the Spey Pages has cast the new Airflo Delta, with similar improvements, extensively. Maybe he will weigh in with his experience as well.

It is my understanding that the Rio Mid-Spey is also changed, at least to conform to the new AFFTA line standards. Whatever other tweaking may have been done in the last two years, I don't know.

·
Here we go again!
620 Posts
I was unaware that the Delta underwent a change.

The thread that SSpey refers to sums up the differences very well. Of the old lines, that is.

My first thought regarding your description of the new delta was one of concern over the low stretch core. These lines (and some Loop lines I've tried which are produced in the same factory using the same build) have sometimes had coiling problems or "sets" and stretching these sets out can at times be difficult, at times futile. The 20% stretch in many lines allows one to stretch out the coiling, this may become an isue.

·
loco alto!
3,109 Posts
Moose, I believe the change happened only in the past 4 months or so. I know that most shops I visit still have the old lines on the shelves. The lines did not change 2 years ago, as one might infer from the info above

·
Here we go again!
620 Posts
Yeah, I was referring to the recent change that Fliegenfischer spoke of. I have a bunch of delta and a few Loop lines and not sure I'd like to see a core with less stretch, but who knows. We'll have to see.

·
Banned
501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have look at new 2006 Airflo catalog and some heads are slightly lighter and some heavier.

DL 7/8 new 570 gr ( old 580), 8/9 640 ( old 630) , 9/10 720 ( old 690) , there is no 10/11 ( old 770). ,The sink tip type 7 was substituted with type 8 in.

The new DL 9/10 is slighty longer: 67’ ( old 66’).

Rio current MS lines are 7/8 ( 560 gr) , 8/9 ( 640 gr) , 9/10 (740 gr) , so from grain point of view there are up to date with new standard.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts