Spey Pages banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been spey fishing for a year now with a windcutter 9/10/11 on my 14' Redfly spey rod. No longer do I want to strip and shoot line when I cast, but fish the traditional way of cast and swing. What long bellied line would you recommend for my spey rod. I usually use airflo 10' polyleaders in various sink rates. I have been told to get a SA Spey XLT 9/10 and also a Grandspey 8/9 and 9/10. Which one is better and in what weight? Is it possible to get a long bellied line for casting farther out, but also that will work closer in some of the time, if necessay? Thanks for any advice!

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
I haven't spent time with your rod, however it has been my experience that both the 9/10 XLT and GrandSpey are "too much line" for most 9/10 rods. If you were going to go with either I suggest the 8/9 - maybe even the 7/8.

In any case you should cast the lines on your rod, most shops can arrange that. I think this is really important as though both lines are excellent - they have very different characteristics. Which line will suit you, your style and your fishing needs will depend - and the only way to know is to cast them.

While you are at it maybe you should check out the Airflo Traditional lines - there is a thread right now over on the tackle board - Long-Belly Lines. They may be what you like. If there is a casting clave or other get together you should try to get there as they are excellent for trying different stuff - good luck.

·
Pullin' Thread
4,694 Posts
I've cast this rod with a 9/10 Airflow Traditional and it was a wonderful combination. Therefore, I'd say that the rod would be badly overloaded with either a 9/10 XLT or GrandSpey since they weight a lot more than the Airflow Traditional. Like Kush already mentioned, I've found that you really need to drop at least 1 and sometimes 2 lines sizes when using the extended=-belly lines like the XLT and GrandSpey.

Also, Ian Gordon mentioned in another thread about needing to have good technique to properly cast and appreciate the extended-belly lines, and that can't be emphasized enough. Instead of you looking at the XLT or GrandSpey lines, especially since you have only been spey casting for a year, you would probably be better served by going to a mid-belly line like the MidSpey, SA Mastery Spey, or Delta Long that are all in the 65' belly range because the transition to the line with a 10' longer belly is far easier than going to a line with a belly that is nearly double the size of the Windcutter. Or look at the Airflow Traditional or Carron Jetstream with bellies in the 75'-80' range. Once you have mastered casting a line with a belly between 65'-75', then look into getting one of the extended belly lines with the 90'+ bellies.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Excellent advice Fly Tyer! the 65'-75' lines will fish very nice on this rod. By the way TM with a Midspey or Long Delta you will be fishing to 80' without having to strip. The really long stuff is better suited to distance casting contests than real fishing(trolling along). The interesting thing as mentioned above is that lines like the xlt need to be downsized when actually using the whole head as it were designed. Perhaps this is to accomodate all of the intermediate types that think they should use this line yet can only handle 65' of belly. I would suggest 70' or less as a good long belly dryline and something in the 40'-55' head range as a 'longer' choice with tips. Really serious tips will fish better with a head that is even shorter. The Redington you speak of is an excellent rod by the way-enjoy!
Brian

1 - 4 of 4 Posts