Spey Pages banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Bob Rodgers
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Drove up the Lochsa this weekend to check on water conditions.
Only saw a couple of people flyfishing.
This is a beautiful summer trout fishery, but in the early season it attracts a different breed of adventurer.

·
Internet Scientist
1,302 Posts
I'm assuming its flow is down for this time of year as most other rivers are? If so, must be a significantly more technical float than usual. I thought I'd heard they cancelled the LR Madness event last weekend but apparently not, so that's a good sign I guess.

Yes, great fishery, probably already fishable. Oops, sorry, lousy fishery, don't bother coming, stay away, no fish, too many people, muddy, full of suckers, lots of mosquitoes, ...:saevilw:

·
Registered
416 Posts
Actually, I'm hoping to pass by there for a few days in early August. Any insights to share? I've never been, but the images are beautiful. Seems like a wonderful river to spend a few days trying to get a wild cuttthroat to eat a dry fly!

If folks have any tips for a first time visitor, I would certainly appreciate it.

Slint

·
Internet Scientist
1,302 Posts
Best tip = line in/on the water! Predominantly a west-slope cutthroat fishery, check the regs, upper sections close in the fall IIRC, but August should be perfect. Below Wilderness Gateway campground is always open. My wife is a beginner fly fisherperson, she hooked up numerous cutties on a elk hair caddis pattern. I'm starting to do more swinging, cutties hate (i.e. attack) a bright swung fly. Easy access along most of the river from highway 12 that parallels it.

Not sure how this will effect this year's fishing though:

Attachments

·
Registered
416 Posts
Yeah, flows and temps are a concern for sure... will keep an eye on it.

Thanks for the info. Especially the comment about your wife. I'll be fishing with my girlfriend, who is a beginner for sure.

Thanks much,

Slint

·
Registered
158 Posts
Actually, I'm hoping to pass by there for a few days in early August. Any insights to share? I've never been, but the images are beautiful. Seems like a wonderful river to spend a few days trying to get a wild cuttthroat to eat a dry fly!

If folks have any tips for a first time visitor, I would certainly appreciate it.

Slint
Beautiful area. There are a number of nice hotsprings within reach of the highway. Jerry Johnson Hotsprings are a couple miles hike up along Warmsprings Creek. There are some others up that way as well.
Lots of great camping, paid and free. For free camping and a nice hike plus possible nice fishing, head up Fish Creek a little ways and camp right next to the creek.
If you have some extra time, drive up to Selway Falls about 20 miles upstream of the Lochsa/Selway confluence. Pretty spectacular. Lots of great water along the Selway and tribs as well. Lots of great camping up there.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts