1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
>
>Dear Steve
>
>Phew! What a weekend! What a final! Aline, David and I and the rest of the Musto team trust that you and Way arrived home safely. We attach a copy of a press release we are sending out to all UK fishing and country media -
you might like either to send it on to your local media plus national magazines like Field & Stream or give us a list of titles (with addresses preferably) and we'll do the donkeywork.
>
>Everyone is still talking about the event over here and, modest or not, your name is going to become significant in salmon fishing circles around the globe.
>
>Our congratulations to you, of course, and also to Way. We think of you as the Dynamic Duo and, as soon as I've got dates of next year's show, we'll be in touch because we'd like our local talent to have the opportunity of taking you on again.
>
>With very many best wishes and thanks for being such wonderful competitors.
>
>Brian & Aline Pilcher
>+44 1403 822344

Couldn't figure out how to un-attach the attachment that gave press release, but the final results of the International Open Spey Casting Champoinship (3 day event) included 50 of the best spey casters in the world (professional and amateur). Accepting the 1000 pound check for FIRST PLACE .... DRUM ROLL IF YOU PLEASE!!!!!! ...... our own ..... STEVE CHOATE of Kalama, Washington!!!! Steve's winning final cast was 50 yards, that's 150 bloody feet!~

Second place was Ian Gordon at 48 yards (144 feet);

ANOTHER DRUM ROLL IF YOU PLEASE ....

Third place was Dr. Way Yin at 46 yards (138 feet)

Dollars to donuts I can guess what line(s) they were using. Press release said both Steve and Way used Daiwa 17'6" Whisker 10/11 rods.
:devil:

Forgot to add: The planning for Volume 2 of the Spey Casting Charity Clinic is all ready well under way. And Steve and Way have already consented to be our instructors.

This is just too cool for words!!!
fae

·
Registered
886 Posts
You beat me to it Fred,

Here is Musto's press release.
Once again the Musto International Open Spey Casting Championship brought high drama to the climax of The CLA Game Fair.
The capacity grandstand crowd was joined by hundreds, who lined the banks as the excitement mounted. With six finalists having achieved casts measuring in the high 40s during heats over the 3 day weekend, Steve Choate of Kalama, State of Washington, USA, thrilled the crowd with an staggering 50 yard cast on the River Test at Broadlands to win the competition. Sealing the Championship was no easy feat: Steve and Ian Gordon from Speyside (2001 Musto Champion) had tied for first place with 48 yards and were to compete head-to-head in a 'cast off'.
The final was truly international with two contestants from the USA, two from the River Spey, Clive Mitchellhill from Carlisle and Bob Wellard from the banks of the River Tamar in Cornwall.

Musto have sponsored and enhanced the International Open Spey Casting Championship over three years to make it one of the most significant sporting contests of the three day event. Musto Marketing Assistant, David Stanley, commented: "Musto are renowned for making performance clothing not only in fishing, but also in shooting, riding and sailing. In all our sporting disciplines, we like to get out to meet our customers, to explain our design technology and, above all, to listen to their comments. That's how we stay in the lead in terms of providing what our customers want and what they need from their sporting wardrobes. As far as angling is concerned what better place to achieve that objective than at The CLA Game Fair? We are delighted that our input is making such an impact."
Some 50 professional and amateur anglers contested the heats and the high quality final demonstrated the depth of talent in a hotly contested event.
Accepting the £1000 cheque for first place and a handsome trophy depicting a leaping salmon, Steve Choate said: "This is our first time at the CLA championships and it's been a wonderful and warm experience. The good fellowship of the anglers we have met has been a keynote of our visit and I very much look forward to returning next year to defend the Musto championship title."
His fellow caster, also from Washington state, Way Yin, who was placed third in the final, nodded in agreement: "It's been an awesome experience for us. Believe me, the States has nothing to offer in comparison. We love it!"
Musto champion, Steve Choate, and his fishing companion, Way Yin, fish the Columbian Snake River watersheds, whose snow-fed rivers support a fine population of steelheads, the migratory rainbow trout of the US Pacific coast.
The Manufacturer's Trophy, which Musto also presented, was won by Daiwa, in recognition of the outstanding performance of the 17ft 6 inch Whisker 10/11 rod, which was used by both first and third place entrants.
Final Results
Steve Choate 50 yards
Ian Gordon 48 yards
Way Yin 46 yards
Bill Drury 42 yards
Bob Wellard 41 yards
Clive Mitchellhill 39 yards

At least the Scots got a good second and fourth.

·
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic
1,771 Posts
Great news - congratulations to Steve and Way! Local northwest talent makes it in a big way across the puddle, I love it!

Steve, Way - if you are headed out that way from the PNW next year, you're welcome to make a pit stop at Logan for a few days of fishing for striped bass on the sugar white sands of Cape Cod and the northeast coastline with us. 100% serious, just say the word.

Best,

Juro

·
JD
3,609 Posts
Congratulations!

AWESOME!:D Simply F***in' AWESOME:D It is not every day that we can post bragging rights of this magnatude. This post should go to the top of the list and stay there. Congratulations Steve and Way.:smokin:

·
Registered
200 Posts
Congratulations to the winners. The Daiwa Whiskerfly rods are the best bang for the buck thats out there. It's Daiwa's botom line spey rod, very inexpencive. I have the 15' and it's incredable.

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just got a 'corrective e mail' from Way on his rod.

To: [email protected]
cc:
Subject: Re: Champion!

The press release was inaccurate... I was not using the Daiwa, just a stock 16 foot Scott for 10 weight...

The Test is a beautiful river, flowing smoothly, ideal casting conditions for single spey.

Steve is a wealthy man now...
--
Way

Dear God, 138 feet with a single Spey??????!!!!!!!!
Fred

·
Registered
80 Posts
Fantastic performance gentlemen! Congrats, etc., ...

Need to reexamine their "handles", say "SuperSpeySteve" and "WayTooFarWay" :hehe:

These fine gentlemen are deserving of the accolades, performance wise AND character. Again, hats off to them.

ws

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
WS" you got it right about 'character,' Way's

initial e mail to me about Steve winning the money, marbles and chalk made zero mention he was even there. If I hadn't read the press release ...........

Now that's a cool guy.
:smokin:

·
Registered
164 Posts
Champions

Congrats Gentelmen! And to think I met them before they they
were Internationally Recognized as Champions. Fred, I guess that our donation to the Rouge Clinic will have to go UP.

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hummmmm... Jere, probably not a good idea to

be giving someone in mortgage banking ideas on how to increase revenues.:devil:

If "we" do, it will be a minimal amount as the point was to allow as many as possible (to max. class size) to participate.

Fred

·
Registered
45 Posts
Local Boys make good in the UK...Big Time

Steve & Way, a most excellent show from two of the Left Coast's finest!

By chance did anybody shoot some video of you two "wowing" the crowd? If so, perhaps they or either of you might post a clip or two? It would make a fine addition to this thread.

Like the rest of the crowd, I'm looking forward to the next time I can see you two take it deep into the spool. Congratulations, John

·
Relapsed Speyaholic
5,393 Posts
Very Impressive

Quite the accomplishment for these two. It sounds like this was quite the shindig. It is sure great to have some Northwest talent take home the money. Does anyone know how Steve and Way ended up over there? Was it by invitation or an open competition? Either way, sounds like some tough competition.

I must admit I am a bit uninformed about this particular event. Is it held yearly or was this the inaugural contest? If not the first year, I would love to see a list of past winners. Hard to believe such a list would not have a Simon or Derek on it somewhere.

Also, does anyone know about the 16' stock Scott rod that Way was said to have used. I don't recall Scott putting out a 16' rod at least in the last 4-5 years. If so, I might have to give it a throw. :D

st

(Just did a little internet research and saw this was an annual event.)

·
Registered
886 Posts
Yes it is an annual event, last years winner was Ian Gordon from Scotland, second this year.
Last years cast was 42.5 yds but was cast on still water.

Next years contest is in Yorkshire (England)

I was promised some photos from musto but I am still waiting, I will chase them on Monday.

Malcolm

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
St, as I remember it from Dr. Yin's e mail it's an

open even and they paid their own "way," all the way. No sponcerships. First couple of days (correct me here if I'm off Malcom) is just head to head elimination. The last day is money, marbles and chalk.

Each caster gets three minutes to make as many cast as he/she can. Given the length of the lines all these guys were using/casting they probably killed at least a minute to just strip the thing off their reels and get it out onto the water.

Then there's a roped off arc in which the line must land. Out of the arc, no count ... or maybe worse ... so it's not just being able to chuck the line a country mile (Steve's cast was half the length of a football field!) but the cast has to change directions and be within the markers.
fe

1 - 20 of 29 Posts