Spey Pages banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Junkyard Spey
7,105 Posts
I believe there was a post or two about LL Bean rods sometime last year. A search of the archives might show something.

The fact that the rod has a low price doesn't always mean anything and
LL Bean has great customer service. Will they let you cast it and recommend a matched line. If yes then I would say go for it.

If you are on a budget there are some other great rods around that work very well and have great warranties. Snowbee and TFO to name two.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I asked this question a little while back b/c I had a gift certificate and wanted to get into spey casting. I also already had the rio WC 7/8/9 line w/ tips, so I wanted to know which of the Bean models would be best for this line.

After getting some helpful feedback, I decided to get both the 12'6" 7/8 weight and the 13' 8/9 weight to try out with my line. They have a pretty great return policy as long as you leave the plastic on the cork and don't damage the rod. I think that it will cost me $5 or $6 to return the one that doesn't work for me, and shipping in the first place was free.

I am pretty much new to two-handed rods and I haven't been able to get a professional opinion yet, but I would say that they are very nice rods. They look good (nice hardware, single foot guides) and they feel good (this is harder to explain but you probably know what I'm talking about).

I still haven't decided which one I will keep. I think that my line is right inbetween the two models so I am trying to trade up a line size so I can keep the 13'er.

In short: yes I think they are worth the $200, and probably a lot more... but I'm new to this.

Eric

ps- if you are in the seattle area, you'd be welcome to come check out the rods I have some time.

·
Junkyard Spey
7,105 Posts
With the right line there are just about no "bad" two handers. The $200.00 price tag is very good and that rod looks a lot nicer then what I started with.

Herl, With a WC upgrade you can raise your presnt line weight or with a set of cheaters you can raise the weight or lower it to "dial in".

·
Registered
235 Posts
MJC,

So the WC upgrade adds mass and length to the head of the line, right? I am sure that I could find this out by doing some research but, would that turn the line into a mid/long head line, making it more difficult to learn to cast with?

Fishhawk- sorry to hijack the thread.

Eric

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
herl

get to Carnation on Saturday for Aaron's morning on the river. There will be lots of lines to play with and great instruction.

·
Junkyard Spey
7,105 Posts
Yes it will add weight and length. I do not know that it will be harder to cast, from my point of view a mid-length head is quite easy to learn with. With a set of cheaters instead of the upgrade you can add weight and length but not quite as much.

I agree with Ted, Aaron's is the place to get loads of help.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I have the 14 ft 9 wt LL Bean two hander. I am pretty new at this and can cast it OK..can get the whole taper (short head) out and shoot some line too. I find it easier than my FlyLogic 7wt, 13 footer, which I lined with a WC 7-8-9 per the recommendations on the RIO website. If you can get any kind of a D loop, you can lay into the rod and send the line whistling. pretty cool. The rod doesn't flex very far down into the blank the way it's set up now.

I did the combo thing with the Bean rod, got a nice-sized reel with it and matching line and case. The only critique I would have is that you can't zip the rod case with the reel on it, which is too bad. The reel is a big (5+ inch diameter) large arbor and balances well.

Hope this helps you out... realize I am not a real experienced Spey guru though. Took a class from Juro and if he is on here and sees this post, he might remember the rod and be able to provide a better evaluation. I also remember seeing a thread about Bean rods in the archives.

SCott

·
Junkyard Spey
7,105 Posts
Hey ramjet...

Hope this helps you out... realize I am not a real experienced Spey guru though.

Everyone's posts are valuable whether they are a "spey gurus" or not. Everyone here started out pretty much the same way and I believe everyone's posts have value whether they are "wannabies, newbies, compentent spey casters, jedi masters (sorry Sparky), or somewhere in between.

·
JD
3,646 Posts
good point

MJC said:
Everyone's posts are valuable whether they are a "spey gurus" or not. Everyone here started out pretty much the same way and I believe everyone's posts have value whether they are "wannabies, newbies, compentent spey casters, jedi masters (sorry Sparky), or somewhere in between.
For those with less experience, sometimes the best advice comes from others who are at the same level on the learning curve.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.