Spey Pages banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for a spey rod to basicly fool around abit in the creeks and esuaries of Cape Cod,I'm not looking to break the bank ,I notice the spey rods in the LL Bean catalog and also the Orvis catalog does anyone have any imfo concerning these rods.Thanks

·
JD
3,641 Posts
east coast/west coast

It may be different on the east coast, but we don't see too many LL Bean or Orvis Spey anything on the west coast. Conventional fly gear, yeah. But not the Spey stuff.

'Course now someone will prove me wrong.:chuckle:

·
#&%*@^# Caster
3,058 Posts
I would go with TFO over those rods if you are looing for a good priced stick that performs well. Nothing against bean/orvis but I think the fact you see TFO on both coasts being used by many anglers says something. In fact I think their 1212 is an excellent overhead and spey casting rod.

Could be just the ticket for the cape cod area. It is really nice with an 8/9/10 windcutter. One of our sponsor shops like the Red Shed could probably hook you up demo to try before you buy. Do not think bean/orvis offers that.

-sean

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies ,I have the cnd atlantis so I'm all set for overhead casting ,I was looking for something I could play around with along with my 13 yr old son.He's been casting single handers and the atlantis ,he says he likes the 2 hander better so I was looking for something in the 7/8 or 8/9 wt.

·
#&%*@^# Caster
3,058 Posts
Check out the 12' 6 6wt TFO. Nice little stick that will br more than manageable for your son. At $250 it is a steal and matches up with about an 8wt single hander in terms of fish fighting ability. They have it in an 8wt as well if you are looking for a stouter rod.

Aslo I am pretty sure Jay Horton lives in your area and he is on the TFO staff. I remember on another site he said he casts every Sunday on the bass river so it may be a good idea to see if you can hook up with him to take a look at the rods and get some casting advice.

-sean

·
Registered
235 Posts
Hi, I don't have a lot of experience with two handers, but I purchased the LL Bean 12' 6" 7wt and 13' 8wt. this January with the intention of returning the one that didn't work out with my windcutter 7/8/9 line. After much deliberation I sent back the 8wt though I'm still not sure if I kept the right one for my line. I was able to cast fairly well with both and I will say that they seem well made. MOre experienced folks who tried the rods didn't have anything bad to say about them so I suppose that I would recomend them - it is tough beat the price: $175+.

For what it's worth...

Eric

·
Mr. Mom
625 Posts
Beulah fly rods is one of our sponsors here. they make very nice 10.5 foot two handed "switch rods" in both 7/8 and 8/9, and other sizes as well. I think they run under $400 even in the larger sizes. I love my 7/8... Awesome overhead, and a very good at spey casting as well.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Can't believe, but I agree with Philster re Switch Rods

Philster said:
Beulah fly rods is one of our sponsors here. they make very nice 10.5 foot two handed "switch rods" in both 7/8 and 8/9, and other sizes as well. I think they run under $400 even in the larger sizes. I love my 7/8... Awesome overhead, and a very good at spey casting as well.
The Switch Rods can be used while wading, from a float tube, from a boat or as I saw yesterday from a kayak. A young man across the river was doing some awesome casting with a switch rod in his kayak. No double hauling just roll casting to get the line and fly out, a good back cast and booming underhand casting to put a good sized fly 70 to 80' from his kayak.

I was never able to Spey Cast with my Switch Rods, but they are superb to Skagit cast with the Rio Skagit lines and the OB floating lines. My 5/6 Switch rod and the OB 10wt floater are a perfect match.

The Switch rods enable me to fish in really tight situations with no room for any back cast at all. All of the rods have enough backbone to really lay the graphite to a fish and get the fish away from roots, brush and other stuff in the water.

As long as I'm able to fish, I will own at least one switch rod.

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
sean said:
Check out the 12' 6 6wt TFO. Nice little stick that will br more than manageable for your son. At $250 it is a steal and matches up with about an 8wt single hander in terms of fish fighting ability. They have it in an 8wt as well if you are looking for a stouter rod.
-sean
Although the Beu's are very nice rods (centered right out of Medford, Or), dollar for dollar I have to vote with Sean. For lower water/close in fishing this rod just seems to continually appear on the rod rack on top of the Jeep.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Sean and Fred, has anyone compared this TFO with the Sage 6126

sean said:

-sean
A local guy who used to be in our fly club is looking at the TFO 12' 6" for himself and maybe his teenage grandson. He has a couple of the standard 14' 9 wt Spey rods, and he wants a rod for late Spring, Summer and early fall fishing for himself and a grandson, who wants to get into Spey rodding. He asked me how a TFO 12' 6" compared to my Sage 12' 6" rod. I told him I didn't know as I had never cast a TFO. I know some of the Delta Fly Fishers, who fish for stripers and big bass really like the single hand TFO's. Some of the guides have elevated the TFO single handed rods to front line rods for their clients w/o rods instead of backups. We bought our son, who lives on the Delta on the weekends a single hand TFO 9 weight as a backup rod 2 Christmas's ago. It is no longer a backup rod. It is in his ready to cast and fish bucket with 3 other rods on all of his Delta trips.

I told this other fisher, that he could probably buy two TFO 12' 6" rods and probably the lines for the cost of a single Sage 6126.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts