Spey Pages banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Desperately trying to break into the spey world, but money is a little tight for another $500 rod.

With that in mind, I am building a Forecast 13' 8/9#. As I said, I choose this blank out of financial necessity and also from the input you guys have generously offered here.

For the time being, it will be my only spey rod and will have to pull double-duty for both winter steelhead on the likes of the Sandy and N. Umpqua and summer outings on the Deschutes.

However, my primary goal is to learn to spey cast!

I am currently faced with the overwhelming choices involving lines and reels.

I am leaning towards what seems like the generic choice of line: 7/8/9 RIO Windcutter VersiTip, but my limited spey knowledge is really just the opinion of the local flyshop. And, I am afraid that is not all that great.

I also need a reel, but am having trouble buying one that costs way more than the rod (even though that is pretty easy to do these days.)

Any suggestions on a reel and line would be greatly appreciated, and/or any suggestions on good spey instructors in the Pacific NW.

Thanks a lot!

·
chrome-magnon man
5,375 Posts
Hi Argos--welcome to the Speypages!

I'm not familiar with the Forecast blanks, but I think there are others on the board who have them/have cast them, so I'll defer to their wisdom as to proper line weight choice for your rod; however, the Windcutter is a great choice for a beginning caster, and a multi-tip line solves the problem of buying a dry line, then buying another line with tips later.

As for reels, the LOOP CLW 8-12 is a good choice and relatively inexpensive as reels go these days, plus it has a sealed drag system. It has enough capacity for 150 yards+ 30# backing plus your Windcutter. I've used them for the past few years and they seem to hold up quite well.

Here's a list of FFF Spey instructors: http://speypages.com/speyclave/showthread.php?t=20002

Also you can find one that might be a little more current at www.fedflyfishers.org at this link: http://www.fedflyfishers.org/instructor-search/index.html

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Dana,

Do you think you give up a lot of performance with a multi-use system like Versatip? Enough for a beginner to even worry about?

How would you compare the Loop Evotec CLW with Ross's Cimmaron Large Arbor? I like the price of the Loop!

·
chrome-magnon man
5,375 Posts
No, the performance is great. Most of the lines I use are multi-tip, even my demonstration lines, and I'm very happy with them.

I haven't used the Ross reels--they are anodized aluminum, right? Different animals than the LOOP CLW, which is graphite. But I think the LOOP is tough to beat as an entry level Spey reel for short head lines.

·
Registered
344 Posts
argos,

I don't know the Forecast blanks, but unless you have some different info, I would make an uninformed guess that the WC 8/9/10 might be a better match than the 7/8/9, especially for a beginner.

--Bill

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Bill,

Thanks for the input, and I have read a pretty good thread here about guys "lining-up" with this particular blank.

That is also one of my concerns. The 6/7/8 doesn't seem to really cover the bases like the heavier line might. Again, at this point, my "knowledge" base is really just regurgitated from the fly shops’ opinions.

Thanks,

Robb

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Treasure Trove in a couple of weeks.

The Sandy River Spey 'Clave *(yes fellows, 'Clave is how it should be spelled;)) is in a couple of weeks. There you can get your hands on almost any combo of rod, reel, line sold in the United States. And feel free to 'mix and match,' that's why they're there.
Fred

The 'Clave is at Oxbow Park about 20'ish miles east of Portland Oregon. I'd also agree with SHH that 'up-lining' a tad would be a better choice of WC line.

http://www.speypages.com/speyclave/showthread.php?t=22320

·
Junkyard Spey
7,114 Posts
With the Forecast blanks I think if you will up line one size you will have the best performace. The best route is to try a couple of line sizes for a sure fit. Aaron in Canation has demo lines as do I.
Either shop can also help you get a servicable reel that will not broke the bank.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts