Spey Pages banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic
1,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ahhh life is good! I threw $20 into a fly show raffle and for the first time ever actually won something in a raffle - a screamin' new two-hander! The new for 2006 Sage VT2 8wt 13'9" 4 pc comes in a deep jewel blue finish with a beefy full wells grip and industrial grade multi-lock ring seat in a subtle gunmetal finish that suits my tastes.

It feels very nice, flexing fully but with power, and light enough to fish summer while strong enough to fish winter. Feels like a real dandy and I need to line her up. I can't wait to get it on the water.

But being new in 2006, my usual first-and-foremost reference from Simon Gawesworth has not been updated with this rod's line recomendation and it wasn't in the Speypages rod review list either yet.

If anyone in the collective knowledge of the #1 spey resource on the planet knows what she likes for a short, mid-length and long belly line I'd appreciate the insight so I might choose a line for it.

thanks in advance

·
Junkyard Spey
7,114 Posts
VT2 Spey Rods

Taken from Comperhensive Guide to Spey/Two Handed rods by George Cook.

7130-4 13' for 7 line=WC 7/8/9, Skagit 450-Sinktips 9'-15'-109 to 175grns.

8139-4 13'9" for 8 line=WC 8/9/10, Skagit 550 with skagit cheater 5' 8/9/10-Sinktips 84 to 190grns.

9144 14'4" for a 9 line=WC 9/10/11, Skagit 650 with 5' cheater 9/10/11-Sinktips 9' to 24'-129 to 300grns.

·
Waiting for the grab...
340 Posts
Vt2

I would suggest that you pm [email protected] know he's been fishing these rods all fall, and his knowledge has helped myself and many others in the past with line recomendations for Sage rods. Thanks Chris:smokin:

·
Ghetto caster
711 Posts
MJC said:
Taken from Comperhensive Guide to Spey/Two Handed rods by George Cook.

7130-4 13' for 7 line=WC 7/8/9, Skagit 450-Sinktips 9'-15'-109 to 175grns.

8139-4 13'9" for 8 line=WC 8/9/10, Skagit 550 with skagit cheater 5' 8/9/10-Sinktips 84 to 190grns.

9144 14'4" for a 9 line=WC 9/10/11, Skagit 650 with 5' cheater 9/10/11-Sinktips 9' to 24'-129 to 300grns.

Poppy,
Where did you find this info? I haven't run across this before.

·
Junkyard Spey
7,114 Posts
It was furnished to me by my Sage rep Chris Kelly of Mike Atwell and Associates. This guide covers Traditional, Euro, VT2, and a little info on the TCR actions

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Chris Andersen at Sage is great re lines matching Sage Rods!

Speybstrd said:
I would suggest that you pm [email protected] know he's been fishing these rods all fall, and his knowledge has helped myself and many others in the past with line recomendations for Sage rods. Thanks Chris:smokin:
Chris Andersen is an invaluable source re lines, tips and other tackle questions with Sage's rods.

He casts the Sage rods with various lines and fishes with them. If one listens to him, you can save a lot of money and frustration re lines with the Sage rods. Not bad for a young man who can't spell his last name correctly!:roll:

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Speybstrd said:
Personally .. I'd rather correspond with "Katie" at Sage. That is one very charming young lady. And a darned good caster with a two hander stick I might add. All that adds up to there are times I wish I was "33" rather than "63.":lildevl:

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Randy Freddy strikes again

fredaevans said:
Personally .. I'd rather correspond with "Katie" at Sage. That is one very charming young lady. And a darned good caster with a two hander stick I might add. All that adds up to there are times I wish I was "33" rather than "63.":lildevl:
Not very :saeek: Sage advise from Randy Freddy!:roll:

·
Junkyard Spey
7,114 Posts
All that adds up to there are times I wish I was "33" rather than "63."
Fred just remember if you were 33 you would have to work everyday instead of running around the country in your "spey coach" playing around with all those two handers.:lildevl:

·
1,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you all for the great advice.

I will definitely call Katie. I mean Chris! ;)

·
Waiting for the grab...
340 Posts
Introduction...

fredaevans said:
Personally .. I'd rather correspond with "Katie" at Sage. That is one very charming young lady. And a darned good caster with a two hander stick I might add.QUOTE]

Hmmm...sounds like I should talk Chris into a introduction when I visit:saeek:

·
Registered
14 Posts
i just got done casting that rod and it was lined with a rio skagit 550, this combination was unbelievable the casts flew out even with my less then steller ability "i was taking a casting lesson with george cook". if you plan on throwing tips i would definately check out the 550.
pat

·
Registered
165 Posts
Sage VT2s

Hi Juro, Not to knock Chris ( I think that he is a really cool guy) but he definitley has a preference for a Skagit style of casting. It might have something to do with the waters he fishes on a regular basis. I have cast the 7, 8, and 9 VT2s back to back with several other new sticks in the last few months (prior to freeze up:mad: ) and really liked all the sticks. I found the 7 the best of the bunch with a nice delicate touch yet enough back bone to let you punch it if you had to. I found all the rods to be a mid to long belly rod allthough this just might reflect my preference. The 8 I thought was an 8 leaning to a 9 thus an SA8/9 mid head or the same in a Rio. The 9 was second on my list and was a true 9. I think that this is the best series of rods that sage has brought out since the original 9140-3
(my favourite stick of all time ) and the old 9140-4. I dont dispute their ability as a Skagit casting tool (or a short head for that matter) but I really dont feel that is where their strenghts lie but it is rather in the midrange.
Just my two cents.
Ramsay

·
1,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ramsay -

I appreciate your reply, thus I have a hunch some of the lines I already have will work wonders on this stick. I'll report my findings as soon as this damn arctic blast lets go of our region :mad:

My preferences are also with the mid-to-long lines from a pure casting perspective but like yourself I'm sure when fishing I use what befits the situation. It's great to hear that the Skagit and shorter line w/ tips gang gives this rod the nod too. I tend to use both of those systems most this time of year and thru spring when I can get out.

I could feel that the blank has a long belly "heart" to it in the flex, someone mentioned it has a Burkheimer touch to it but that's just a rumor at this point. It feels to me like it will do well 'carrying' the load through the setup motions and has a lot of push to it coming from low in the blank so it should do a great job with a well-matched line.

It has a certain sweetness that some rods with power have been missing lately, and if you say the 7 and the 9 are better well then that's interesting news too.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts