Spey Pages banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Impressive to find so much help and experience available here. Recently purchased Sage One 10130-4, 13 ft, couple with a Sage 4210 reel. Would appreciate line suggestions and comments on both rod and reel and if they'll match. Thanks

·
Registered
115 Posts
What kind of line are you thinking of ? Scandi, mid-, or long belly ?

I dont have the 10, but the 5,6,7, and 9. So far there has been no real magic in selecting lines. I have had good results with e.g. 9/10 weigth Vectors and Powerspeys on the 9 and similar selections on the other rods. N-weigth rod, n/n+1 classification lines.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I like the intirgrated lines, Rio calls for a wf12 in oujtbound or 700 to 725 grain in skagit. If either will be fine its all good. Just don't like putting lines in the "did not work well" drawer. I'm still at entry level and learning on the fly! Shoulders don't allow for conventional fly fishing anymore.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Sage One 10130-4

Any update on how this rod fishes, I'm looking for a 13' to 14' rod in the 650 to 700 grain range, not many to choose from so I was hoping to get some feedback on the Sage, thanks Paul

·
Cast, step, swing...
128 Posts
We tested this rod up on the Dean last June, and I had my mitts on a first run model for 1/2 the season. It was designed as a big fish stick, mostly Chinooks/kings.

It tossed a 720 compact and a 700 iflight with 12-15 ft of t-14 like no bodies business, also a 725 regular flight with 11-12 wt, 15 ft type 8 tips as well.

You can pull a truck out of a ditch with this rod, kinda stiff for some, but loads of lift.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Thanks for the update, its much appreciated, I want to avoid stiff actioned rods and its looking like I am going to have to get a custom job done. Better stop typing and get saving :chuckle:

·
Cast, step, swing...
128 Posts
If you like softer yet beefy, the Echo 'king-stick' we tested was great too...with a bit more deep flexing.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts