Spey Pages banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just built an A.R.E. 11' 5-6 wt switch rod. Turns out it was rated as a singlehand, as CCS testing puts it as a 4.5 on the spey scale, and a line weight "starting" at 275gr was recommended to me.
I intend to use it for trout, primarily with floating and light sink-tips and small flies. I doubt I'll have much need for heavier tips and larger flies, so, thinking primarily scandi. This light tackle is new to me and I'm wondering what others can recommend for a lining set-up.
Any advice would be appreciated.

·
Registered
5,276 Posts
CCS?
For a 4/5 I suggest an Ambush 6 or 7wf. Be advised: I have a 7WF labeled 265 grains scaled-in at 290 grains. All things being equal - the 6WF maybe heavier than labeled.

·
btree
270 Posts
I had the same thing with a Quickline blank for a #6 switch, that when compared with my 6/7 Meiser turned out to be nearer single hand standards than Spey. So far I've found that a 8 or 9 wt WFF works well, so for you probably at standard 7 or 8 wt WFF line would do. BUT the relatively level taper will reveal plenty of casting faults if you're not careful. I certainly have issues with consistency compared with a scandi taper.

Yet to try the Wulff TT lines, but I bet that one of those would be sweet, or an airflo 40+. Basically any taper that resembles a scandi taper would be easy casting.

If you want a mini long belly, a DT #6 or 7 would offer a challenge.

If you're never going to loop on a sink tip, I've always been interested in the Rio trout log touch line. At ~50ft head that's 265gr in a 6, it might work too.

If you have a scale and some old left over #8,9 or 10 single hand lines, or old Spey lines, you could try cutting one back to ~300gr at 16-20ft for a homemade skagit. I cut an old windcutter back to make a skagit for my 8wt single.

Oh, and just looked at the rio site, and I guess they have their scandi short heads that go down to 210gr in 30gr I incriments. So you can mess about with heads until you get it dialled, and then get into a full integrated line if wanted.

·
Registered
766 Posts
I have just built an A.R.E. 11' 5-6 wt switch rod. Turns out it was rated as a singlehand, as CCS testing puts it as a 4.5 on the spey scale, and a line weight "starting" at 275gr was recommended to me.
I intend to use it for trout, primarily with floating and light sink-tips and small flies. I doubt I'll have much need for heavier tips and larger flies, so, thinking primarily scandi. This light tackle is new to me and I'm wondering what others can recommend for a lining set-up.
Any advice would be appreciated.

Herk',
Been through this process more than a few times myself. You've already CC'd the rod so your way ahead of the game. Give Meister Godshall a call, he knows the ARE rods well. He has hit the nail on the head every time with my one-off and conversion rods. I especially like his Scandoid and iScandoid.

Enjoy The Spey Journey,
sixheads

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the responses.
A friend has just loaned me a couple of Beulah Elixer switch heads in 245 and 295gr, and a RIO scandi short body @ 305gr. I'll take them for a test-flight to see how they feel. I'm wondering if I can run a tapered mono leader off them, or if I'll need a floating polyleader to a tippet.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Herk, have you considered the Snowbee Switch lines? I believe they're available from 200 to 450 grains, in 50 grain increments. I have the 450 grain on my Echo 8wt. SR, and it's a very nice line. Smooth and supple, zero coiling. These lines are apparently designed to handle polyleaders. So far, I've just tried mine with a 10' clear intermediate polyleader, and it works very well. Next, I'll try some faster sinking polyleaders on it. You can buy them here on the island.

I think Snowbee fly lines may be underrated, or just not that well known or marketed. I also have a floating single hand Snowbee XS line in a 5 wt., and it's possibly the nicest all around 5 wt. line I have.

Orvis also has a couple of switch lines, 300 grains and up, also available here on the island. I have one of their Access models, and quite like it.

·
Banned
894 Posts
I've got the snowbee switch, orvis access and 40+. For spey style casting I prefer the snowbee hands down, overhead it the airflo

sent from the North Pole

·
Registered
204 Posts
Integrated Light Weight Switch Rod Lines

A few other lines to consider for light weight switch rods are Vision Vibe 65 (short scandi), 85 (medium scandi) and 125 (long scandi).

Airflo's new integrated switch rod lines, Switch Streamer (skagit) and Switch Float (scandi).

GG

1 - 8 of 8 Posts